Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I saw this story too. I think Google is a bigger threat to Apple than Microsoft. All the changes happening in the Tech world, I'm lovin' it!

Here's to the Crazy Ones

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't see Google as a threat to Apple so much as Google and Apple being threats to Microsoft. I guess it just depends on perspective. Either way, it's a Windows alternative which has to be a good thing. :)

simie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
It would probably be based around a Linux distribution. The operating systems search facilities would be interesting to see. I wonder how much of it would be tied into Googles search engine.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Great post, thanks!

My favorite part was this:
"Jobs, who is also chief of Apple Computer Inc., will demand a seat on the Disney board, becoming the leading candidate to replace George Mitchell, who plans to retire as Disney chairman at the end of the year."
WOW WOW!!

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Isn't the market already flooded with computers for as low as $300? I know dell sells $300 computers that are almost adequate for internet browsing, and I'm pretty sure that Wal-Mart already sells eMachines computers in the $400-$500 range.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I agree with the Register's assertion that the market isn't ready for Linux - yet. But I think the future of the home PC lies in that direction.

IF Google ever does market a PC, it will probably be built along the same lines as OS X: a *nix foundation with proprietary frosting on top.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
I've been thinking, for a few months anyway, that Google might be doing something very crazy in the computer industry. Mind you, this idea is HIGHLY speculative but hear me out:

Things Google is, or is rumored to be, doing:

Gmail - browser-accessable email services with 2.5+GB of usable space. More than enough for the email needs of the majority of users.

Goffice - simply a rumor, but this would be a MS:Office competitor only you don't need to install it on your computer. It is, once again, browser accessible.

Dark Fiber - Google is known to be buying up large amounts of dark fiber (fiber already laid, but too costly for other companies to turn active). Fiber is a major source of bandwidth.

Google "mini-clusters" - "compact" computing rooms that Google is having developed, that can be deployed at a remote location with both large amount of processing power and storage space.

Free Wi-Fi - Free Wi-Fi to San Francisco. A beta to a faster, free wi-fi connection?

Job Descriptions - Google's job descriptions are looking for people qualified in making applications central to an operating system.

Now the conclusion:

What if... WHAT IF... Google was going to do thin client, but on a public scale?

You take your GooglePC and boot it up, wirelessly, for free, in a major metropolitan area. "From where does it boot?" do you ask? How about from a Google mini-cluster connected to the wi-fi transmitters?

The computer boots up to a browser. You can access everything you wanted to from a normal machine. Email is accessible through Gmail. You work on your documents with Goffice using the browser. But wait, you have to save your documents SOMEWHERE... right? How about in the glorious 2.5+GB of space that Google's given everyone?

This system (if it even exists in our future) takes Microsoft out of the arena, they have no place. However, I can see that it would give Apple a leg up, serving consumers that need the immediate speed of a local machine (such as with media production, games, etc.).

Call me crazy... just throwing the idea out there.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Lol, I clicked the link in the article which is a cache of Walmart.com selling a Linux PC and I instantly had the memory of when Walmart used to sell Lindows PCs! HAHA!

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2005
Blackheart said:
I've been thinking, for a few months anyway, that Google might be doing something very crazy in the computer industry. Mind you, this idea is HIGHLY speculative but hear me out:

Things Google is, or is rumored to be, doing:

Gmail - browser-accessable email services with 2.5+GB of usable space. More than enough for the email needs of the majority of users.

Goffice - simply a rumor, but this would be a MS:Office competitor only you don't need to install it on your computer. It is, once again, browser accessible.

Dark Fiber - Google is known to be buying up large amounts of dark fiber (fiber already laid, but too costly for other companies to turn active). Fiber is a major source of bandwidth.

Google "mini-clusters" - "compact" computing rooms that Google is having developed, that can be deployed at a remote location with both large amount of processing power and storage space.

Free Wi-Fi - Free Wi-Fi to San Francisco. A beta to a faster, free wi-fi connection?

Job Descriptions - Google's job descriptions are looking for people qualified in making applications central to an operating system.

Now the conclusion:

What if... WHAT IF... Google was going to do thin client, but on a public scale?

You take your GooglePC and boot it up, wirelessly, for free, in a major metropolitan area. "From where does it boot?" do you ask? How about from a Google mini-cluster connected to the wi-fi transmitters?

The computer boots up to a browser. You can access everything you wanted to from a normal machine. Email is accessible through Gmail. You work on your documents with Goffice using the browser. But wait, you have to save your documents SOMEWHERE... right? How about in the glorious 2.5+GB of space that Google's given everyone?

This system (if it even exists in our future) takes Microsoft out of the arena, they have no place. However, I can see that it would give Apple a leg up, serving consumers that need the immediate speed of a local machine (such as with media production, games, etc.).

Call me crazy... just throwing the idea out there.

That is some great brainstorming!! Great ideas! Maybe some google highups will give you a call soon! :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
jtalerico said:
That is some great brainstorming!! Great ideas! Maybe some google highups will give you a call soon! :)

Maybe he has figured it all out. ;)

Well it does make sense to have something similar to NetBoot. You connect to the internet and you have all the applications via a web browser. No need for a license to buy and install on many machines. No need for updates as its automatic centrally. No need for a bog HDD, as it will also be centralized. No need to worry about viruses as it will be taken care off by Google.

Think of it as Google as Big Brother. :eek:

Google is the OS and applications, all you need is a terminal. Only problem is what happens if you loose reception. :confused:

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Google and the Thin Client

Google is all about services and access with a browser. At this point, Google will not build an Operating System. Google's products are all thin client accessable with a web browser ... gmail, search, blogger, etc ... Google's current business model is centered upon an end user's use of the Internet and that is most often performed with a Web Browser (thin client). Let's not forget Google's ambitions of providing free wi-fi access. Also, on demand computing and computing as a utility will be a focus (Grid Computing)

Google's recent partnerships with Sun and the StarOffice product line will likely lead to Google and Sun offering access via a browser. You won't need to have Microsoft Office to create documents, spreadsheets etc ... Also, let's not forget Java and it's use on the Internet. Also, the recent partnership with Time Warner/AOL. Google's objectives are "all things Internet"

Google will not compete with Apple from a music/movie perspective. In fact, Google and Apple entered into an agreement with Apple for links to music
http://news.com.com/Google+whistles+a+new+tune/2100-1024_3-5995864.html?tag=nefd.top

Overall, Google is going after Microsoft, Windows and the desktop use of software. Microsoft realizes this has reorganized into three business units: Microsoft Platform Products and Services, Microsoft Business Divison, and Microsoft Entertainment and Devices Division.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't think of Google creating a OS like OS X or Windows, maybe Blackheart is on the right track and it will be totally different than anything we are used to.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
topgunn said:
Everything Google touches turns to gold. I have no doubt they could pull this off.
That is soooo true, if google wanted to take over the world, people would let them. And that may just happen. :eek:

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
interesting, but I dont like it. I would rather have a very minimalisic, in the style of Google, OS with lots of colors and white space, but still have HDs and stuff. the Issue with wi-fi only is, the USA is big, even in a place like new jersy it would be hard to cover the whole state. I think more likely would be dial-up access for free and wi-fi where avialable... unless they are working with 802.11N, N=neiborhood, suposifly 1 router can cover all of NYC! :eek:
but I like having a HD and having to install stuff, its more fun that way!

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
for how sweet google earth is as an app and google's creativity i think anything google puts together will hands down be better than winders.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Looks like LA Times is getting into the rumor business. Google has denied reports they are releasing a Google PC.

We'll see.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.