Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Really? I could've sworn it's been around since 2005 or so. I know Linux had it since the first release of Compiz, and I'm pretty sure OSX supported it sometime shortly thereafter.

Yeah, I know. 2005 = "rather new concept in computing" to me, considering the history of computing.

Not surprising that it takes a while to implement in much lesser devices like ARM SoC based phones and tablets, especially for a OS like Android that has to deal with way more varied configurations than iOS.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, I know. 2005 = "rather new concept in computing" to me, considering the history of computing.

In the grand scheme of things, yeah. But in general march of technology terms, that's around the time of cavemen.

I know most of my long distance communication revolved around banging two rocks together back in '05. Also dot matrix printers.

Not surprising that it takes a while to implement in much lesser devices like ARM SoC based phones and tablets, especially for a OS like Android that has to deal with way more varied configurations than iOS.

I think that's the true advantage Apple's vertical hardware integration brings to the scene. It's not so much that software magically performs 1000x better on an OS targeted to a smaller range of hardware. You can look at benchmarks between Windows and OSX on two similar machines and not see, really, any difference between the two. Rather, keeping tighter focus and control on the hardware allows Apple to adopt technologies far quicker than the more open ended OSes.

Apple can go shopping for new technologies and say "I want that in my next machine", whereas all MS and Google can do is quietly enable it in their OS, and wait for the OEMs to eventually...slowly...adopt it for wider use in their products.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007

That article sums it up rather nicely, thanks for the link, to quote what it says:

"Unless you actually clicked through the ad and bought something, you are nothing more than a demographic statistic. Google still knows what you gave them for personal info, but the advertisers that use the Google advertising system do not.

It also should be noted that if you don’t click the ad, not even your demographic information is given out and are merely counted as a faceless, nameless "ad impression", and that’s where the ‘just barely’ comes in concerning the sale of your personal information."

And that's very much it. Google doesn't sells your data, it would be against their interests and harmful to their business to do so. If anything, it is in their best interests to keep said data safe and secure.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Ambivalent about Google. Useful Products versus Corrupt Ethics.

Products? Yes, Google makes some very useful products, like Search and Maps.

Ethics? Google is the worst offender as far as personal privacy is concerned. Sure they are ALL offenders, because ALL of them (Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Samsung, RIM, etc etc etc) all collect your personal data one way or another. But Google is unique in that its success and profits are chiefly derived from exploiting and marketing YOUR personal information, your personal data, your personal "shopping" habits, your statistics as a consumer, etc. In doing so, GOOG ends up sharing/selling your personal info to numerous advertisers, marketers, spammers, "content partners", etc.

Like I said, Google is not the only one that collects personal info or habitually infringes on personal privacy in one form or another. But it truly is the worst offender of the bunch.

Google on the way to the top? Absolutely. The one who collects ALL the information, the one that has accumulated the most knowledge, and has more knowledge of everyone (on the internet), and info on everything that everyone does.... eventually wins. King of the Hill. Top of the Heap. Knowledge is Power. And so it's just a matter of time until Google becomes the most powerful.

For this reason, I admire the EU for occasionally standing up to Google, essentially slapping Google in the face saying "You cannot trample on our citizens' privacy rights like that! Go screw yourself Google! And while you do that, please pay up the €18 million euro fine that we just slapped on you, for the third time this year!"

Renzatic

Suspended
Ethics? Google is the worst offender as far as personal privacy is concerned. Sure they are ALL offenders, because ALL of them (Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Samsung, RIM, etc etc etc) all collect your personal data one way or another. But Google is unique in that its success and profits are chiefly derived from exploiting and marketing YOUR personal information, your personal data, your personal "shopping" habits, your statistics as a consumer, etc. In doing so, GOOG ends up sharing/selling your personal info to numerous advertisers, marketers, spammers, "content partners", etc.

It's...like...you didn't even read the thread.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
In doing so, GOOG ends up sharing/selling your personal info to numerous advertisers, marketers, spammers, "content partners", etc.

Ah, and here we are, back at the starting line. :rolleyes: Google doesn't sell your info. Now you reply with "Yes they do!", Rhett can repost his link, then you can register a new account again, and come back with a rant about how Google sells your info.. I can ... Rhett.. New account...

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Ambivalent about Google. Useful Products versus Corrupt Ethics.

Products? Yes, Google makes some very useful products, like Search and Maps.

Like I said, Google is not the only one that collects personal info or habitually infringes on personal privacy in one form or another. But it truly is the worst offender of the bunch.

Google on the way to the top? Absolutely. The one who collects ALL the information, the one that has accumulated the most knowledge, and has more knowledge of everyone (on the internet), and info on everything that everyone does.... eventually wins. King of the Hill. Top of the Heap. Knowledge is Power. And so it's just a matter of time until Google becomes the most powerful.

For this reason, I admire the EU for occasionally standing up to Google, essentially slapping Google in the face saying "You cannot trample on our citizens' privacy rights like that! Go screw yourself Google! And while you do that, please pay up the €18 million euro fine that we just slapped on you, for the third time this year!"

You know that google sees you as nothing more than a number.

And they dont sell your data to anyone

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I just don't like their products. Android just isn't good. It reminds me a lot of Windows 95 when it was new. A lot of great features and widely supported, but overall slow, terrible memory management, and almost all the hardware it comes on is ugly.

Slow? Didn't realize my Android phone was slow. Guess I was wrong :rolleyes:

Looks are subjective. I'll admit though Apple hardware looks the best for the most part. But it's hardly a reason to choose a platform.

Google+ was doomed to fail and doesn't offer any advantage over Facebook.

The words advantage and Facebook shouldn't NEVER be used in the same sentence. Facebook is utter cr@p and no good.

It just seems they do a few things extremely well, and throw half-assed products out the door hoping they stick or become a fad. Kinda like Google Smart TVs.

Google Search. YouTube. Google Maps. Android. Yea real half-assed products there :rolleyes:

Not even an Apple fanboy, but am I the only one here that just overall dislikes Google's products and technologies besides Google Search and Gmail?

No probably not. I for one like and Google products. It's nice to use a Map app that actually works :D :rolleyes:

Nobody does search or maps better than Google.

Guilty as charged.

How is it scary? What do you people expect to happen? Larry Page is going to find your street address and murder you?

:rolleyes:

lol I know. That's all iFanBoys say to put down Google. OMG they steal your data! OMG WTF? ;)

Renzatic

Suspended
The words advantage and Facebook shouldn't NEVER be used in the same sentence. Facebook is utter cr@p and no good.

True that. Google+ might be a "failure" (not really), but it's still 1000x more usable than Facebook.

Out of the billions of dollars FB makes a month, you think they'd spend some of that money making sure their damn servers are capable of loading up a 500k jpeg image in less than two hours.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Not even an Apple fanboy, but am I the only one here that just overall dislikes Google's products and technologies besides Google Search and Gmail?

I only like the mail, and am actively looking for an alternative that is better.

(Bing is my new Google)

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah I guess I was wrong too, didn't realize that my S3 was slow :rolleyes:

True that. Google+ might be a "failure" (not really), but it's still 1000x more usable than Facebook.

They hit 400+ million users in Google+ recently and it is going up. It is doing nicely and if they keep backing it up it will continue to do so as it is imo a much better social network than Facebook. Sure, Facebook recently hit 1 billion users, but they have been online for far longer.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

Is that because of the ridiculously fast hardware or because of Android? I think it's the former. I do not think anyone has ever said Android is extremely well made, thought out, and optimized for anything. It's just passable, and the hardware it comes on is nice at times.

Looks are subjective. I'll admit though Apple hardware looks the best for the most part. But it's hardly a reason to choose a platform.

It is up to one to judge whether a phone looks good or not, but I think most people who are Android fans, if they could, would buy an Android phone that is identical aesthetic-wise to an iPhone 5. There is a point in saying that iPhones feel solid in the hand, whereas a lot of android phones do not. They feel cheap. There are a few high-end Android phones that do not feel cheap, however.

It does the job, whereas Google+ does not. I am not a fan of facebook, but it does it's job.

Google Search. YouTube. Google Maps. Android. Yea real half-assed products there :rolleyes:

What did I just say? Did you read my post? I said Google makes some really good products, like Google Search, Maps, and Gmail. They bought Youtube and barely changed anything about it except integrate it with other services, such as iOS. But they also make a ton of ****** products. Google Smart TVs are a completely joke. Chromebooks are too. Google+. Etc. I am not going to take the time to make a complete list of a lot of their half-baked products.

No probably not. I for one like and Google products. It's nice to use a Map app that actually works :D :rolleyes:

I have not used iOS 6 maps so I will not comment. And I do like Google Maps. But I brefer Bing Maps.

lol I know. That's all iFanBoys say to put down Google. OMG they steal your data! OMG WTF? ;)

Once again, I am not an iFanboy. I have a Windows Phone. I had a Samsung Android phone before that. My previous laptop was an HP. I do not agree with Apple's Patent Wars (although they are not the only ones doing it, they are just doing it to an extreme degree). Stop calling me an iFanboy just because I disagree with you.

Renzatic

Suspended
They hit 400+ million users in Google+ recently and it is going up. It is doing nicely and if they keep backing it up it will continue to do so as it is imo a much better social network than Facebook. Sure, Facebook recently hit 1 billion users, but they have been online for far longer.

If you're right about those numbers, I'm wondering how anyone can claim Google+ is a failure and keep a straight face. Sure, Facebook might have double that amount, but...it's nearly half a billion vs. a full billion. That's a win/lose scenario only if you're tallying it up as a score.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
If you're right about those numbers, I'm wondering how anyone can claim Google+ is a failure and keep a straight face. Sure, Facebook might have double that amount, but...it's nearly half a billion vs. a full billion. That's a win/lose scenario only if you're tallying it up as a score.

Actually it seems that Facebook hit nearly 1 billion active users in a single month (back in July) whereas while Google+ has 400+ million users, it reached 100 million active users monthly. Here is a brief article about it:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/18/google-has-400-million-members/

It sure makes Facebook look way bigger but considering that Google+ reached that amount in only 1 year whereas it took Facebook many years to get to where they are, I don't think comparing the number of users says much at this point.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Actually it seems that Facebook hit nearly 1 billion active users in a single month (back in July) whereas while Google+ has 400+ million users, it reached 100 million active users monthly. Here is a brief article about it:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/18/google-has-400-million-members/

It sure makes Facebook look way bigger but considering that Google+ reached that amount in only 1 year whereas it took Facebook many years to get to where they are, I don't think comparing the number of users says much at this point.

I think it would be interesting to see how many of these users on either platform are active users?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I think it would be interesting to see how many of these users on either platform are active users?

In the article it says 1 billion active users in Facebook and 100 million active users in Google+ in a monthly basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.