'Google pays Web pioneer to bash Apple'

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by niuniu, Mar 15, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    According to Venturebeat,

http://venturebeat.com/2010/03/15/google-tim-bray/

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

After reading this, he sounds like a complete ass. His tone is very sarcastic and seething, not just because he pushing utter crap:

You know, because you can't go to any of those sites with the browser..... Please.

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

He's not getting the spotlight Tim has, so he's going for the next best thing: Controversy. Bash a company that's incredibly popular and suddenly you'll be the stuff of tech blogs again. He should just stand on his own legs, keep his dignity intact, and keep working hard trying to further this idealistic view he has of a completely utopian internet, not going around showboating. It's business, not Xanadu; Companies, including Apple and his precious Google, are out to make money. Period. What did he think?

...and Google's no great hero of freedom either. The information they gather about every one of their users, just so they can target advertising to make more money-- yeah, that's completely open, fair, and not at all Big Brother like. :rolleyes: If the government did that, even if it were for different reasons (eg, security), people would have a hernia.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But the government does do that.

As for the tech blogger he seems like a lot of tech geeks to me. Tech geeks oposise sensor ship on the internet and software. Apple is the king of sensor ship and software when it comes to smart phones.

Just look at the complaints here about the lack of loading apps from places other than the App store, and the complete lack of customizing the iPhone. You can change the ring tone and get limited alert sounds for everything else. Only get APPLE approved apps. Apple tells you what is best and so on.

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    His views have some validity, but so do most people's tech views whether you agree with them or not. I was just surprised at the tone of the thing, it felt like I was reading a scathing rant from a late teen, not a tech professional. I'd be surprised if contrary to Venturebeat's opinion that he was paid for this, that Google doesn't actually come down on him and ask him to reel it in a bit. It can't reflect well on them to have a Maddox on the loose in the long term.

6. DaveSW macrumors 6502

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He's probably referring to "app approval" by Apple.

I agree with the bolded paragraph, to be honest. This article, along with this author, may deserve some criticism as well, but that doesn't make what he said above (in bold) any more invalid. It's true.

On the other hand, if you knew this already, you don't need to get an iPhone. ;) It's a free market. Don't like Apple's ridiculousness? Buy a phone from another company. There may not have been good alternatives before, but there are certainly some great alternatives today.

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Google can pay anyone to bash Apple. Makes no difference. The proof is in the Apple pudding. Apple products speak for themselves.

No one for the last decade has bashed Apple successfully. Too late for that now, unless Apple creates its own disaster. Good luck.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Actually, it sounds about right. The only thing I would add is there is a exit to the so-called 'walled garden'. Apple does not force any user or dev in, and you are free to leave at any time.

10. mmfphotodude macrumors member

Thats just kinda... LOW, especially for Google

11. DaveSW macrumors 6502

12. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Dali Lama apps on iPhone in China? Looks like the Chinese government wouldn't approve.

At least apple didn't back down by excluding wifi in their iPhones, did they. D-d-did they? :eek:

<Vader>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo...........:apple:

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

This fudster fails to notice Apple iPhone's mobile Safari is the most Acid3 compliant mobile browser.

14. DaveSW macrumors 6502

Nobody cares about that stupid app.

Censoring search results -- EVIL

15. pdjudd macrumors 601

Wifi is hardware - and if memory serves, was a choice that was out of Apple's hands at the time. Not that it mattered anyway, you would just get to the same filtered internet anyway. Way different than actually filtering the internet. Apple's safari browser operates the same no matter where you are located. What Google did in China is a mountain. Apple's omission of Wi-fi was more of a mole hill.

16. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Out of Apple's hands and enforced by whom exactly?

Very nice. Now, what about those Dali Lama apps? :p
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/185604/apple_censors_dalai_lama_iphone_apps_in_china.html

The tyranny! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::apple:

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I know that is what he is talking about, but he doesn't make that clear. If you read it at face value all he saying is apple won't let you do it period. He total neglects the fact you can do all the above via the browser.

18. pdjudd macrumors 601

I presume the telecom. I cannot say for sure though.

Read your own link. "Appears" is just speculation on the behalf of the author. Furthermore it is irrelevant since I was not in any way talking about Apps - I was talking about Mobile safari and the Web - all of which is filtered beyond Apple's control since they don't provide web services like search.

Nobody questions that the app store is censored. That is not the point of my posting however.

19. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

This is the best I can dig up: Source

Looks like the Chinese Government trying to push quite a controversial standard onto the Chinese population.

Can this be seen as an Apple backdown to the Chinese government at all?

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

Well according to your link it says:

So content censoring is not the issue here like it would be with Google. The MIIT sounds like it deals with regulation of electronics and information services beyond what the FCC does. It's not a censorship group though. Sounds like they just determine what devices can operate and what cannot.

As far as dropping Wi-fi, it seems as though the intent was to simply avoid additional manufacturing costs to implement non-standard technology that Apple didn't want to deal with.

ETA: A disclaimer, all of this is just my interpretation since I am not a Chinese government expert and have little idea what divisions interact together in any way.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm sure the Tibetans who are being opressed by the Chinese government care about that stupid app :rolleyes:

But it's OK, just put your hands over your ears and pretend the world is perfect because you have your iPhone.

22. pdjudd macrumors 601

Lets not bring in political discussions into this please. This is not the place for it and it's just distracting, not to mention besides the subject.

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Me neither, but I'm enjoying the discussion. :cool::)

24. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Alta-Vista was the biggest search engine in the world in 2000 - by 2002 they were practically extinct.

Search loyalty is very fickle thing. It is sensitively related to the users perception of integrity and trust.

Right now I'm seriously concerned that my life's searches are in the hands of a company whom I now realise I know very little about and whose ethics have suddenly been revealed to be quite contrary to those I had been led to believe in.

Put simply - I suddenly realise that I don't trust Google anywhere near as much as I trust Apple.

25. str1f3 macrumors 68000

The curious thing about his statement is that this guy has worked on web standards such as CSS. Apple is not trying to interrupt open standards and is merely controlling the App Store. They are not trying to control the web.

He is making himself seem an ass. If all he's got left in him is rhetoric, than it was a poor hire for Google.