Google Photos App Update Brings Long-Awaited Apple TV Streaming Feature

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google continued its steady improvement of the Google Photos app this week by adding the ability to wirelessly transmit photos and videos to an Apple TV on the same network.

Coming almost two years since the app's debut on iOS, the feature addition in the version 2.14 update has been a long time coming, but it does mean users can now stream their Google Photo libraries to big-screen televisions regardless of whether they have a Chromecast or an Apple TV.

The update marks a trend for Google quietly improving the Photos app, which has recently seen feature additions like automatic white balance, video stabilization, Live Photos support, and more.

Signaling its lingering intent to rival Apple in the media sharing space, Google introduced an app last year called Motion Stills that lets users edit Live Photos and turn them into GIFs and short movies for easy sharing.

Google Photos is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Photos App Update Brings Long-Awaited Apple TV Streaming Feature

E.Nieves

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2017

Google continued its steady improvement of the Google Photos app this week by adding the ability to wirelessly transmit photos and videos to an Apple TV on the same network.

Coming almost two years since the app's debut on iOS, the feature addition in the version 2.14 update has been a long time coming, but it does mean users can now stream their Google Photo libraries to big-screen televisions regardless of whether they have a Chromecast or an Apple TV.

The update marks a trend for Google quietly improving the Photos app, which has recently seen feature additions like automatic white balance, video stabilization, Live Photos support, and more.

Signaling its lingering intent to rival Apple in the media sharing space, Google introduced an app last year called Motion Stills that lets users edit Live Photos and turn them into GIFs and short movies for easy sharing.

Google Photos is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Photos App Update Brings Long-Awaited Apple TV Streaming Feature
[doublepost=1493124782][/doublepost]Finally!! I've been waiting a long time to use my Apple TV for Google Photos.

Reactions: saudade

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Google Photos is the best photos app regardless of platform. The fact they are continually improving it across all platforms just makes it all the better. Just an opinion, but objectively, it the right one.:D
I like it except for the fact that auto uploads don't happen automatically on iOS. Especially for big files. iCloud photos works so much more seamlessly

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
A nice note for new users of the app is, unlimited photo storage. Which, is a fairly big perk.

The app works well.
If you want to keep them in original quality, you have "only" 15GB. [In unlimited] You barely notice difference for photos but videos the difference is big, specially on slow motion (were it removes data and convert them to 30fps)

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I like it except for the fact that auto uploads don't happen automatically on iOS. Especially for big files. iCloud photos works so much more seamlessly
They do for me, I found iCloud to be unreliable personally and hated how it consumed so much space compared to Google Photos. My biggest issue with Google is how it uploads duplicates of screenshots, bugs the hell out of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.