Google Photos Backup

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I just downloaded the Google Photos Backup App to upload my photos.

Like many, I used to use iPhoto but have now moved to Photos (hence have an iPhoto Library Database and a Photos Library database). I know that the photos are not really duplicated (just connected via links), even though there are two libraries.

The Google Photos Backup App only has options to Backup iPhoto (as well as your Pictures Folder by default), there is no option to select your Photos Library Database.

I originally selected to backup both my iPhoto Library as well as my Pictures Folder and it seemed to be correctly pickup all my photos (around 14,000).

I let the app run overnight and came back to see that there were not 28,000 pictures to upload (so it seems to be duplicating my photos). I deselected my iPhoto Library, and it has now dropped back to 14,000 photos.

Does anyone know if this is correct? By just selecting the Pictures Folder is it backing up my Photos Library (and not the iPhoto Library?) even though both libraries are stored in the Pictures Folder. It should not be an issue provided I don't make further changes to my iPhoto Library, but wanted to know if this is correct.

Thanks for your help!

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Was looking at giving Google Photos a try but sadly doesn't seem to be working with Google Apps accounts yet :(

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I understand the T&C's, and to be honest they are the same T&C's for all of Google's products such as Gmail. It's really a catchall. I also understand that Google has come out and specifically stated that they would not use your photos for commercial use.
OK.....and where is your "understanding" somewhere in writing that says it supersedes the published T&Cs?

That article is just FUD, the license is the standard in all the companies that hosts and manipulate data uploaded by consumers, including Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Dropbox or Apple.
Since there's no other published documents saying anything differently that anyone can point to...you'll just trust Google to do the right thing with your pictures?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
OK.....and where is your "understanding" somewhere in writing that says it supersedes the published T&Cs?

Since there's no other published documents saying anything differently that anyone can point to...you'll just trust Google to do the right thing with your pictures?
Do you trust Apple? Because they terms are exactly the same

Reactions: FortWorthMac

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I'm trying to find a way to backup my pictures from the Photos app to Google Photos as well. I've selected my Pictures folder with the Photos Library.photoslibrary in it, but Google Photos doesn't see my pictures inside the container of the Photos app. If I can't figure anything else out I guess I'll have to copy the pictures from the container to my external HD (not enough space on my SSD), then upload them to Google Photos from there.

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm trying to find a way to backup my pictures from the Photos app to Google Photos as well. I've selected my Pictures folder with the Photos Library.photoslibrary in it, but Google Photos doesn't see my pictures inside the container of the Photos app. If I can't figure anything else out I guess I'll have to copy the pictures from the container to my external HD (not enough space on my SSD), then upload them to Google Photos from there.

https://plus.google.com/102522085243103635020/posts/GbvAzb2RkqA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.