Google Photos Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by InAustralia, May 29, 2015.

1. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I just downloaded the Google Photos Backup App to upload my photos.

Like many, I used to use iPhoto but have now moved to Photos (hence have an iPhoto Library Database and a Photos Library database). I know that the photos are not really duplicated (just connected via links), even though there are two libraries.

The Google Photos Backup App only has options to Backup iPhoto (as well as your Pictures Folder by default), there is no option to select your Photos Library Database.

I originally selected to backup both my iPhoto Library as well as my Pictures Folder and it seemed to be correctly pickup all my photos (around 14,000).

I let the app run overnight and came back to see that there were not 28,000 pictures to upload (so it seems to be duplicating my photos). I deselected my iPhoto Library, and it has now dropped back to 14,000 photos.

Does anyone know if this is correct? By just selecting the Pictures Folder is it backing up my Photos Library (and not the iPhoto Library?) even though both libraries are stored in the Pictures Folder. It should not be an issue provided I don't make further changes to my iPhoto Library, but wanted to know if this is correct.

Thanks for your help!

2. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Was looking at giving Google Photos a try but sadly doesn't seem to be working with Google Apps accounts yet :(

3. InAustralia thread starter macrumors 6502

InAustralia

4. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

OK.....and where is your "understanding" somewhere in writing that says it supersedes the published T&Cs?

Since there's no other published documents saying anything differently that anyone can point to...you'll just trust Google to do the right thing with your pictures?

6. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Do you trust Apple? Because they terms are exactly the same

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

My photos aren't stored in iCloud either.

8. InAustralia thread starter macrumors 6502

InAustralia

Please don't hijack my thread.

My thread is a query about how to use the Google Backup application, not Google's T&Cs. If you want to discuss that then please start your own thread and don't troll my thread.

9. smeg36 macrumors regular

I'm trying to find a way to backup my pictures from the Photos app to Google Photos as well. I've selected my Pictures folder with the Photos Library.photoslibrary in it, but Google Photos doesn't see my pictures inside the container of the Photos app. If I can't figure anything else out I guess I'll have to copy the pictures from the container to my external HD (not enough space on my SSD), then upload them to Google Photos from there.

10. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

https://plus.google.com/102522085243103635020/posts/GbvAzb2RkqA

11. smeg36 macrumors regular

12. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

I got mine uploaded but it duplicated about half my library. Spend the last 5 days getting my new Google Photos library straightened up, now just try to ensure that it doesn't re-import my Apple Photos.