Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Is it just me, or do the photos taken from my iPhone 6+ not look as sharp as it does on the desktop..? I put the same photo side by side (one on Flickr, the other on Google Photos) and it just looks grainier. I thought the resolution is still the same if it's below 16mp??

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's talk that resolution might still be retained when below 16 MP, but there's still some compression that happens when using Google Photos.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Google photos would compress any size photo...doesn't matter. Try playing with it and check
Maybe it does what I'm saying is that having the option off does not automatically make any content eat into your storage allowance like the guy said.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Let me be clear:

If you choose unlimited option, Google WILL compress your pictures. For most pics, you won't notice. If you want to keep the original quality, Google will give 15GB. Flickr 1000GB.

Guess when you browse the pics that are online, you're seeing a small version and another one with smaller resolution compared to the original. They do that for better experience. Imagine swiping the online pics and having to download 3 to 4 mb for EACH pic.

You'll have to download them, copy to the desktop to compare the quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.