Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has announced it is updating its Photos app to make sharing photos and videos faster, with a new movie-making feature based on creative concepts also on the way.

Usually, Google Photos users who want to share photos in the app have to call up the iOS Share Sheet and select which app to share through. Photos now offers an arguably faster alternative to that, with a new option that lets users select individual people they want to share media with instead.

Screen-Shot-1-1-800x405.jpg

If the people selected are on Google Photos they get a notification. If the user opts to share by phone number, people get a link to the photos and video via SMS, while email addresses get sent a link from Google Photos.

In addition, Google is bringing movie 'creative concepts' to the app that are similar to the Memories feature found in Apple's Photos app on iOS 10.

Photos already features automatically generated movies made from users' recently uploaded photos, but the update is introducing new themed movie concepts, such as watching kids grow up, capturing good times during the summer, and for formal events like weddings.

Google says it's rolling out the updates today, with the first movie 'creative concepts' coming this week, and more on the way.

Google Photos is a free download for iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Photos Update Brings Faster Sharing and Movie 'Creative Concepts'

Sampple

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Love this on Android but does not go well on iPhone when you have 20,000 iCloud photos and it spends a year importing.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

bellang

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2005

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Love this on Android but does not go well on iPhone when you have 20,000 iCloud photos and it spends a year importing.
Mine did 52,000+ in less than a week of night time processing but I guess it depends on your internet speed.

Now that it is complete having every photo I've taken categorized by place, time, people and hundreds of categories is the best part of iOS 10 for me.
[doublepost=1474376941][/doublepost]
I'd rather them mine my data than pay Apple $$$ forever to store my photos in the cloud.
It's best to have them stored on a home computer that auto down loads all new from the cloud.

And if $3 a month is worth more than being data mined - well that's a choice.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Mine did 52,000+ in less than a week of night time processing but I guess it depends on your internet speed.

Now that it is complete having every photo I've taken categorized by place, time, people and hundreds of categories is the best part of iOS 10 for me.
[doublepost=1474376941][/doublepost]
It's best to have them stored on a home computer that auto down loads all new from the cloud.

And if $3 a month is worth more than being data mined - well that's a choice.
Best for you. I have zero interest storing photos and videos on a computer at this point. I did that for years and it's a headache. I like the zero maintenance of cloud storage.

I would be using the $2.99 plan right now, but I take a lot of family photos / videos and eventually would need the $9.99 plan....which is outrageous IMO. $3 a month is worth it to me anyways, as I'm not paranoid in the least.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
That goes for every third party iOS image cloud storage app I have sadly. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1474377902][/doublepost]
While we're advertising for Google user data mining...If you're going to let Google harvest your information from your photos (location, time etc.) be sure and give them your travel plans so they can monetize and keep that logged permanently as well:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/19/12943054/google-trips-travel-app-android-ios
And I bet you have never used Google to search the internet/maps/street view/earth etc.. for you own needs, in your life, ever, for free.

Amazing how many are happy to use their services, for free, when it suits.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
That goes for every third party iOS image cloud storage app I have sadly. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1474377902][/doublepost]
And I bet you have never used Google to search the internet/maps/street view/earth etc.. for you own needs, in your life, ever, for free.

Amazing how many are happy to use their services, for free, when it suits.

I did advertise for their travel app, which is actually quite good, if you don't mind the personal data mining part which is their business model - its why I linked it here.

As to search etc. I use avenues that don't leave a lifetime record with Google, Microsoft, Facebook etc., its just too ripe a target to be abused at some point. Could easily see some presidential candidate who doesn't think the rules apply to him/her wanting to know which Muslim's (bad group) have searched ISIS (i.e. other bad group of the time) and making it a national security (secret) issue. With our history of bad folks in high govt positions who would abuse such resources (Hoover, McCarthy, Nixon), its only a matter of time before we get someone. So I'll just keep my personal details out of that as much as possible.

To each his/her own, but data mining users personal information is how Google's business works. I'd love it if they offered a pay for use option as their products are excellent otherwise.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.