Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bass

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
UK
Oooh yes, me likey.

Though I have to say, I'll be disappointed if they do the under the screen FPS, and do away with the rear FPS. I know that's the future and we're moving away from capacitive sensors, but I'm just not sold on the in/under screen FPS yet.

That's probably my only slight gripe though. The 4XL would probably be a day one purchase for me, also.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The Pixel 4 Looks Pretty Damn Good in New Renders

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-4-renders-leaks,news-29643.html

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0QvODI4MDEzL29yaWdpbmFsL3BpeGVsLTQtcmVuZGVyLWxlYWsuanBn

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0UvODI4MDE0L29yaWdpbmFsL2dzbWFyZW5hX3BpeGVsNF9sZWFrLmpwZw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0YvODI4MDE1L29yaWdpbmFsL3BpeGVsNF9waG9uZWFyZW5hLmpwZw==

I'm assuming the top picture is the Pixel 4, with the bottom two being the XL model. It appears they would be keeping the front-facing stereo speakers, which would be absolutely awesome. Throw in 6GB of RAM and a 4,000mah battery and that's a day one purchase for me.
Looks pretty sweet. That hole punch is quite a bit fatter than that on the S10+ though, why do they have to make that bigger than everybody else just like they did with the notch?

Anyway with a .1" bigger screen than that of the S10+ and a FLAT screen at that, I'm definitely interested.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0QvODI4MDEzL29yaWdpbmFsL3BpeGVsLTQtcmVuZGVyLWxlYWsuanBn

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0UvODI4MDE0L29yaWdpbmFsL2dzbWFyZW5hX3BpeGVsNF9sZWFrLmpwZw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0YvODI4MDE1L29yaWdpbmFsL3BpeGVsNF9waG9uZWFyZW5hLmpwZw==

I'm assuming the top picture is the Pixel 4, with the bottom two being the XL model. It appears they would be keeping the front-facing stereo speakers, which would be absolutely awesome. Throw in 6GB of RAM and a 4,000mah battery and that's a day one purchase for me.

I could definitely get on board with a uniform front bezel (similar to iPhone X(s)) but keeping the whole punch instead of the bathtub notch. I just hope they either go full board with gestures (and good ones like iOS) or give us the option of 3 buttons. I hate the weird mix of buttons and gestures right now.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Holy ****, that would be an awesome Pixel 4. Imagine the under the display FP sensor + 3D facial recognition in that punch hole style?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

These actually look good. So therefore - they're 100% not real.
:D

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I really don't think 3D facial recognition would be a thing with this design, if only because of all the other sensors needed that would be missing in this design.

Yeah, that would be a tough pill to swallow. I am going to try out the S10+'s in display FP sensor soon on a family member's device.

Idk what's a better idea? Wait for 5g devices or just go for something I like now and then be prepared to spend more $ on a 5g device a year after purchase? Or just use my iPhone XS Max until I see a 5g Pixel or a 5g Galaxy w/ the latest and greatest w/o being super expensive?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What would people prefer on the second lens, zoom or wide? Definitely wide for me.

I’d love wide but I actually use 2X a lot on my Max. Tons of photos/video of my kids sports, school and other activities and the 2X zoom has been super useful. So if I had to choose, think I want zoom—better for my video needs. Regardless, if it’s wide, I’d want it stabilized and an aperture size comparable to the main shooter. OIS is really table stakes these days and IIRC, Samsung’s wide lens isn’t.

I’d mostly use wide for photos and at this point, I’d rather just use my Fuji with a nice wide lens for those shots. Video from the phone is much easier.

Just my preferences of course.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I’d love wide but I actually use 2X a lot on my Max. Tons of photos/video of my kids sports, school and other activities and the 2X zoom has been super useful. So if I had to choose, think I want zoom—better for my video needs. Regardless, if it’s wide, I’d want it stabilized and an aperture size comparable to the main shooter. OIS is really table stakes these days and IIRC, Samsung’s wide lens isn’t.

I’d mostly use wide for photos and at this point, I’d rather just use my Fuji with a nice wide lens for those shots. Video from the phone is much easier.

Just my preferences of course.

I completely get that. I’ve been pretty impressed with the zoom quality on the Pixel 3. It has some tech built in to offset hand shake. It’s not optical zoom, but it’s not bad!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
And regarding this rumored design...yes please. The big center notch on my 3 XL is the one aspect of this phone that irritates me the most. Only being able to see 2 notifications at a time just sucks.

I'm also hopeful that if an underscreen FPS is used, that it improves on the reported experience of current phones (6T and Galaxy 10). I'd much rather have a front sensor but not at the expense of performance .

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I’m curious here if Google would source Samsung for an (hopefully updated/improved) ultrasonic sensor? If the leak is accurate, and we have zero reason to believe it isn’t based on the Pixel 3 cycle, then they are certainly sourcing the displays from Samsung again, which is a wise move. I’m not entirely sold on the under-display FPS and would prefer it stay on the back, which is my favorite location of a FPS, but I’d be more likely to trust an improved Samsung sensor versus another source.

Also I would absolutely want the ultra-wide second lens on the back. I’m not a selfie taker by any stretch, but I quite like the ultra-wide selfie cam.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'd rather they did away with FPS on the back. I personally find the back to be the worst place for them and have always felt that.

Personally, Sony's side mounted scanner was always my favourite placement, but id be more than happy with another in display sensor, providing it is accurate etc.

Failing that, going all in on a face ID would be ideal if it worked like Apples .

Knowing Google, they will keep the notch and add a poor iris scanner in though. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jamezr and tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I’m curious here if Google would source Samsung for an (hopefully updated/improved) ultrasonic sensor? If the leak is accurate, and we have zero reason to believe it isn’t based on the Pixel 3 cycle, then they are certainly sourcing the displays from Samsung again, which is a wise move. I’m not entirely sold on the under-display FPS and would prefer it stay on the back, which is my favorite location of a FPS, but I’d be more likely to trust an improved Samsung sensor versus another source.

Also I would absolutely want the ultra-wide second lens on the back. I’m not a selfie taker by any stretch, but I quite like the ultra-wide selfie cam.

Qualcomm made Samsung's fp sensor, so I'd be curious if only Samsung can use it right now? I bet not. But I need to do more research

https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/mobile-computing/features/fingerprint-sensors

Reactions: Cryates

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I could definitely get on board with a uniform front bezel (similar to iPhone X(s)) but keeping the whole punch instead of the bathtub notch. I just hope they either go full board with gestures (and good ones like iOS) or give us the option of 3 buttons. I hate the weird mix of buttons and gestures right now.

Totally agree on the gestures.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Love the look of the new P4 renders.
Would love to these things on the Pixel 4. Some are rumored to already be in the works.

1 In Display FPS with Double tap to wake and sleep and raise phone to wake
2 Dual Camera on the back....The pixel camera is already awesome...can't wait to see what Google does with dual lens!
3 Get rid of the squeeze functionality....it makes the side bezels bigger
4 Love to see a dedicated mute button
5 Cleaner gesture to get to the app drawer. Make the app drawer and recents two separate gestures
6 Please add 6GB of ram minimum
7 Make 128 the base storage...since there is no SD Card.

66e42661fcbe277880011e3685e470b2.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Love the look of the new P4 renders.
Would love to these things on the Pixel 4. Some are rumored to already be in the works.

1 In Display FPS with Double tap to wake and sleep and raise phone to wake
2 Dual Camera on the back....The pixel camera is already awesome...can't wait to see what Google does with dual lens!
3 Get rid of the squeeze functionality....it makes the side bezels bigger
4 Love to see a dedicated mute button
5 Cleaner gesture to get to the app drawer. Make the app drawer and recents two separate gestures
6 Please add 6GB of ram minimum
7 Make 128 the base storage...since there is no SD Card.

66e42661fcbe277880011e3685e470b2.jpg

I would be ecstatic if this turned out to be the real deal.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
To me, one of the largest problems with Pixel is their launch date.

They're bringing up the rear, and basically any Pixel user is always a year behind on available processors. I think June would be a MUCH BETTER month for launch. It would slot in behind Samsung and of iPhone nicely.

As it stands, Pixels are already dated in the Android world when they launch in October/November.

And for the love of life, at least make the hardware "mildly" attractive. Sheesh!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.