Google Pixel Buds Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by AustinIllini, Nov 10, 2017.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Couple of early impressions are in.

Andrew Martonik Android Central
    "The core feature of this design is comfort — these are easily the most comfortable wireless "earbuds" I've ever placed in my ear."

"the Pixel Buds have almost no sound isolation. Because there's no rubber "tip" that goes into your ear to seal out the outside world, you still hear most everything around you."

"The case looks nice. The fabric on the outside and soft rubber on the inside are very friendly and easy to get acquainted with. But I have serious concerns about the longterm durability of something that is this soft."

"Though these aren't the only proper "Google Assistant headphones," this is my first experience with the feature — and consider me super impressed. Rather than using "OK, Google" detection, the Pixel Buds trigger Assistant by pressing and holding on the right earbud (yes, only the right one) to speak the command. Lift off of the earbud, and it finishes taking your input and does what you asked it to do."

Dieter Bohn just did a quick first use video on his facebook page as well.

So far, really good reviews. I ordered some but they won't come until about Christmas.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I've pre-ordered some since my Sennheiser over the ear cans have become my work speakers

3. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I have powerbeats 3 but like most Apple accessories, they're trash.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am seeing the reviews in a completely different light, and sadly enough of them are causing me to question my original plans to order a pair. It's rare that reviews do this to me, but Pairing is a glaring issue.

https://www.wired.com/review/review-google-pixel-buds/
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/15/google-pixel-buds-review-pass/
    There have been many other less than glowing reveiws regarding sound quality, and a couple complaints about range and such. As avid Airpod users, I was hoping that the Pixel buds would work as well with pairing, and perhaps offer better sound quality than the Airpods do. Sadly, the pairing issue is the main factor that kills it for me. I can deal with a difficult case, as I have kept my Earpods (wired) in their case, which requires some odd winding in order for it to close.

If I cant put them in my ears on any device, and set them as my audio source, it is a worthless product to me.

My Airpods are currently paired to;
    • Apple TV4
    • iPhone 4
    • iPhone 3GS
    • All of my newer iOS / Mac / watch devices that support W1 quick pairing
    • Pixel 2
    • HP laptop at work
    • Linux HP laptop at work
    • Mac Pro
    • Chromebook
    I don't have to do any song and dance, The Airpods will quickly connect to the device I am using, regardless of brand or OS.

I was hoping Google would have captured the magic of the Airpods, and 1-up them like they have done to Apple many times with various products, but the Pixelbuds just seem like a miss.

5. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Thanks for bringing this up. I hadn't had a chance to read the reviews and now do see that they're a bit rocky.

The case does seem like trash from all indications. What a shame.

6. Puddled macrumors 6502a

Puddled

The feedback from the Pixel Bud reviews along with the shenanigans of the pixel phones really has me getting quite annoyed with google. They are making a mockery of themselves and Android.

I don't see much better quality control or design with the apps they have.

thank God Android is refined by OEM's before they put it in their phones.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

IDK, I think this was a miss with regards to the headphones. Couldn't be happier with my Pixel 2, it's been solid and quite fast phone.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I only pair wireless headphones to my phone so that shouldn't be an issue, hopefully the case isn't as finicky as the reviews state

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I’m so disappointed to see the bad reviews from even dedicated Android publications. They seem very objective about the drawbacks of the design. It was these earbuds in the Google Translate demo that had me so excited about the Pixel 2 and Google lineup. I know you can do Google Translate already off of the phone, but the earbuds made it seem a little more futuristic and graceful than holding the phone up like a dictionary.

Ah well, maybe next year, Google. They really should not be charging Apple and Samsung prices without putting in Apple and Samsung level of attention to detail in design AND implementation. Their phones do showcase how brilliant their software is, that it can elevate average hardware to the performance levels we have seen. With some more brilliance on their hardware efforts, imagine the results!

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not 100% sure what you mean, but if you intend to only use these headphones with a single phone, they appear to work fine for that. It looks like if you want to use them with multiple devices, the pairing to them is a big issue.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes..I won't be using them with multiple devices only my phone all my other stuff has over the ears already attached.

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I think he means that they’ve described it’s a pain to get the buds seated right in the case and then wrap that cord properly within. I was reading about that, too, and found it offputting. It’s a shame about that cord. I have long hair and tucking that cord under or around my hair was going to be a small bit of extra bother. I guess it could just hang under my chin but that’s not great, either. I have a pair of Beats buds designed like that and it’s only easy if I wear a ponytail.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

FWIW all the reviews said that the charger for my Nixon Mission was futzy but I don't have problems with it.

14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31