Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If and when Apple makes some sort of foldable device that naturally fits into my life and solves problems I have, I'm not going to oppose that, but I can't think of any right now. Genuinely. I don't need my phone to turn into an iPad, and certainly not for any of the tradeoffs that would currently come with it.

Again, I respect the opinion. My own differs. I choose to use iPad mini as both primary tablet and phone (buds with voip app). The one thing I really wish it could do is fit in any pocket without giving up that much-larger screen.

If Apple offers a tablet that folds/rolls IN to pocketable size or a phone that fold/rolls OUT to tablet size, I'm ready to buy that ASAP. Personally, I'd have zero interest in carrying 2 devices that mostly differ by only size of screen. Whether fold/roll/somethign else, this kind of "solution" address exactly that problem.

Last edited:

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
The way Oppo X enlarges is hilarious.

Some kind of enlarging device from Apple would be interesting.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
One day soon, foldable phones will go the way of 3D televisions.

Or become the new phablet... mostly based upon the whims of Apple deciding which way Apple wants to go with this.

'Crazier' idea: maybe iPhone eventually folds into Watch?

Even crazier: maybe iPhone, iPad and even Macs become completely intangible devices you use in Apple Goggles/Glasses, bypassing the supply chain pinches entirely and reducing cost of manufacturing (tangible incarnations) to near $0 to really maximize profits. In there, iPhone V(irtual) can have ANY screen size from old "perfect" 3.5" (or smaller) to desktop monitor ultra-ultra-ultra wide to 100" (or more inch) TV. No environmental waste. Trade up to "latest & greatest" through a goggles/glasses upgrade with no shipping delays. Etc.

Whatever Apple decides, the Appleverse will lovingly embrace it like they never found a lick of fault with the same kind of thing in the past. "We" do that EVERY time.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
With age comes the benefit of wisdom, or at least in the case of plastic screened devices having the experience of living through an age where phones and PDA’s had plastic covered screens that so easily scratched that you were lucky if they lasted a year of daily use - and that was back when we all were using these devices a fraction of the time that we’re on our devices today. And I don’t want to hear from people saying the UTG screens are far better - these micro-thin glass layers have to be covered with a plastic screen protector to keep them from scratching or getting damaged and just the UX of touching a screen that has give to it is a huge negative and a big reason why every manufacturer moved to solid glass screens for every device.

And don’t get me started with the hinge and the potential for damage. In the same way that manufacturers keep moving away from mechanical switches and buttons (due to the potential for failure), a hinge is a mechanical device that will fail - something you don’t have to worry about with a non-folding device. Apple isn’t going to resolve the issues related to the physics of glass or mechanical movement and they’re not going to risk jeopardizing their good reputation with a folding device that will no doubt make a lot of people mad when it doesn’t perform to expectation (expectations that a decade+ of iPhone use has created).
That plastic feeling on the display is from the beginning of this Century and back.... No thank you! I'm not moving backwards just to have a foldable device to show off.

Reactions: jmgregory1

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Who is demanding a foldable iPhone, or a foldable phone at all? It seems like a source of future catastrophe for sure to me.

'My iPhone broke in half!'

You were folding it wrong...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Those were resistive screens we had to poke with plastic sticks; not really the same as capacitive screens you can lightly press with your fingertips. Just like Gorilla Glass being stronger and more resistant to damage than regular glass, the materials used to protect a folding screen will improve. I have screen protectors on my iPhone and iPad and I have yet to damage them with my finger tips.

Some people are rough with their phones; if you are, buy a regular one.
The thing with a screen protector (film-based) not getting damaged on an iPhone or other non-folding Android device, is that the film is fully supported by the base rigid glass screen, so there is no give when touched. I agree that the old capacitive screen devices was terrible for many reasons, but no company is going to overcome physics. You can’t have a rigid crystalline substrate ALSO be foldable/flexible. You can certainly make a glass so thin that it will bend, but we’re talking paper thin, which then compromises its rigidity - in fact it’s no longer rigid when it’s ultra thin.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I can understand people being skeptical, but ultimately the proposition of foldable screens is very simple: more screen in the same package. That is something that appeals to everyone and has clear benefits.

However, on these fold-style phones you pay for that in thickness, which may not be a trade-off everyone likes. That's why I think the real future is in the roll-out style phones that give you essentially the same thing as current phones, but more screen real estate when you want it.

So in the long term I think foldable screens will be a success, it's just more a question of what implementation will work best.
Not going to lie that looks cool. Don’t want motors in my phone or that size but the rolloable technology looks great.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
LOL at all these companies trying to make a "complete product" out of an incomplete technology.
Howard Stark feels ya.
2qj748.png

Who is demanding a foldable iPhone, or a foldable phone at all?
Two words: Butt dial.? I never had a problem with butt dialing with my ancient flip phone. I have constant issues with my smart phone turning on while in my pocket.?

Last edited:

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I'm planning on getting a new iPhone in 2024 so this it perfect for me. Apple can release a foldable in 2025 and then by 2028 (I upgrade every 4 years) we'll know if foldables are really going to be a thing 😂

Beautyspin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2012
This whole idea of a foldable phone remains so unconvincingly superfluous to me... (similar to 3D TV sets..)
I bet before the obvious shortcomings are fully addressed some other disruption will come to make it almost useless..
So, then why is Apple planning to make foldable phones? How did you come to the conclusion? Any basis?
Samsung foldables are flying off the shelves everywhere they are sold.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple releases products when it’s on their terms and meets their standards, it’s not based on the competition. If Apple believes a foldable is manufactured to their specifications that offers a unique experience, I’d say this will happen. Aside from manufacturing delays, that doesn’t affect the decision if this is a future product or not in Apples ‘pipeline’.

Beautyspin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2012
Not a fan of foldable phones. I also don’t think Apple will release foldable iPhones in 2025
It is not like Apple will actually make the foldable displays and other parts of a foldable phone. It will anyways be Samsung, LG or some others who will supply the display technology. Apple can wait until they have established a market for them and buy those displays from them. Of course, it will suddenly start making sense to a lot of guys on Macrumors then to have a foldable phone ;)

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
This whole idea of a foldable phone remains so unconvincingly superfluous to me... (similar to 3D TV sets..)
I bet before the obvious shortcomings are fully addressed some other disruption will come to make it almost useless..
3D TV sets were unnecessary, but extremely cool. Too bad they bailed on them before they could fully realize their potential.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Apple releases products when it’s on their terms and meets their standards, it’s not based on the competition. If Apple believes a foldable is manufactured to their specifications that offers a unique experience, I’d say this will happen. Aside from manufacturing delays, that doesn’t affect the decision if this is a future product or not in Apples ‘pipeline’.
Agreed. Another silly tie-in article. One has little or nothing to do with the other.

Beautyspin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2012
Correct, they do not enlarge an iPad. The technology could make an iPad fold/roll down to be as pocketable as an iPhone though. At least to me, that seems highly attractive.

"We" seem so locked in on "protect our turf" (iPhone is perfect as is) that we seem to readily ignore the very desirable benefit of having a bigger screen when one wants/needs it. I suggest anyone able to be objective flip the proposition. Instead of thinking about an iPhone Fold, imagine a foldable iPad. Instead of being abhorred by the concept of an iPhone having the flexibility to offer a bigger screen when desirable, imagine an iPad that can fold down to fit in your pocket like an iPhone Max. Can anyone see a benefit of a pocketable iPad? I certainly can.

Of course, someone could make a Tablet Fold product that folds open to double its size when one might want their tablet to size up to small TV/portable monitor. Maybe pack a Mac Mini and this hypothetical Tablet Fold in the bag to stand in for a laptop when one needs a whole computer and a tablet when one needs only a tablet?

I respect the opinion but this collective opinion is one to mark and revisit should Apple rolls one out. The pile of stuff we can find WRONG with Folds now will seemingly no longer matter/apply when Apple starts pushing their own. It's the same EVERY time anyone else has something that Apple does not (yet). And the flip flop of seemingly very passionate group sentiment flips right with Apple deciding to adopt whatever it is. See:

• that original iPod rumor thread (overwhelming disgust/price shock/disbelief).
  • iPad 1 with no iSight camera (followed by iPad 2 with iSight camera).
  • NFC payments before Apple Pay.
  • phablets while Apple still clung to 3.5" and then 4" "perfection" screens.
  • 1080p Apple TV while Apple clung to 720p, then 4K while Apple clung to 1080p, and likely soon 8K while Apple clings to 4K.
And on and on. It's one of the most predictable aspects of the Appleverse: before Apple offers it, nobody needs it/gimmick/stupid/useless/etc. Apple rolls it out: shut up and take my money, best _____ ever, how did we ever get by without _____.
Like this?

HorstBockman

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2022
Google is really just waiting for Apple to pioneer the way, with any device that's reliable and works. But of course Google's won't be as good, so customers won't receive anything like the top-tier support Apple provides.
What's the phone number again for Google support?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I can understand people being skeptical, but ultimately the proposition of foldable screens is very simple: more screen in the same package. That is something that appeals to everyone and has clear benefits.

However, on these fold-style phones you pay for that in thickness, which may not be a trade-off everyone likes. That's why I think the real future is in the roll-out style phones that give you essentially the same thing as current phones, but more screen real estate when you want it.

So in the long term I think foldable screens will be a success, it's just more a question of what implementation will work best.
Pretty much this. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. My approach with the Apple Watch and other wearable tech. It's not for me, but they're doing well enough that they're no fads

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I remain unconvinced that the current type of foldable phone we're seeing (with maybe the exception of the flip-phone style) is going to be appealing because it gives up more than it gives back--in order to be stiff enough open it needs to be twice as thick closed, the screen feels worse, and its awkward to look at quickly or use one-handed.

I'll simplify my previous reservations to this: If it doesn't open, one-handed, with the same incredibly satisfying (and functional) tactile click of a 20-year-old flip phone or slider, I'm not interested. This was a solved problem, ergonomics wise, and we've gone backwards.

That's why I think the real future is in the roll-out style phones that give you essentially the same thing as current phones, but more screen real estate when you want it.

Now this, I can actually imagine working, unlike a non-flip-phone vertical-fold phablet. It's not unreasonably thick when compacted, it doesn't lose any usability over a non-foldable phone when compacted, and it doesn't risk a crease (albeit with a lot more potential for a wrinkled roll part and vastly increased risk of getting screen-damaging grit in it when rolling it up). It seems like case design would be a non-trivial problem as well.

I'm not convinced the issues for a roll phone are solvable, but at least it doesn't feel like it's a step backwards or a solution in search of a problem.

Reactions: city_17

Mr Magoo

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Wouldn’t you like to know
I was at target yesterday and took a look at the Samsung foldable phone. There’s a palpable crease through the center of the screen. Not interested at all.
I'll take the crease over the notch any day. Had the fold 3 for some time now and havent been this happy with a phone since iphone 4s. Not like iphone. I like iPhones but honestly you can use the iphone 8 and have the same experience as with the lucky number 13 pro. Innovate my ass. Very true statement i got to say.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
They’re getting better rapidly, the screens have gotten more durable, folds less obvious, thinner, etc.

when I can get an iPhone that folds out to an iPad I’ll seriously be tempted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.