Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
LOL, this will be interesting. Can't wait to see the labels of those P2P lending apps, which are a huge boom in my country.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I am very aware of that, and all the other looks still look awful. And the first Android just copied iOS blatantly. Basically, Android copied iOS right from the start.
iOS looks wise is just a less flexible Android with uglier widgets, and who can forget the ugly notch which, while not part of the UI, is constantly there and an eyesore.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
iOS looks wise is just a less flexible Android with uglier widgets, and who can forget the ugly notch which, while not part of the UI, is constantly there and an eyesore.
It’s one thing to prefer android over iOS. But anyone who complains about the notch has not owned an iPhone. Day two you don’t even know it’s there. Even when watching full screen video. And I’m very “OCD“ about things. And if it truly bothers someone who has actually owned and used the device for more than a few days - they are an exceptionally small minority. The notch is poor in theory, but not in reality. Would I prefer it not be there? I guess… but it’s certainly not even an occasional thought.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Will they honestly disclose what data their own apps collect? That could be embarrassing. :p
Not really. Just think terms of service. Every company already reveals the **** they do there, it's just that no one has time or interest to read through all that legalese, they just want to get on with their free app or service.

I don't think it will be any different when it comes to disclosing their own data collection to Android users. Those who already knew don't care, and those who didn't know probably still won't understand or care what the deal is.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Android looks like a futuristic OS compared to iOS, which has literally looked the same since 2007
Yes, because innovation is all about changing things that work for the sake of novelty.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
THEY'RE DOING THIS ALREADY IN 2022???? Whoa, thought they were going to wait until 2025.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Not really. Just think terms of service. Every company already reveals the **** they do there, it's just that no one has time or interest to read through all that legalese, they just want to get on with their free app or service.

I don't think it will be any different when it comes to disclosing their own data collection to Android users. Those who already knew don't care, and those who didn't know probably still won't understand or care what the deal is.
Well, Google seemed to be quite ashamed when Apple made the "nutrition labels" mandatory. They stopped updating some of their apps for months. Now they will face the same thing in their own app store. I wonder if they will reduce their data collection so it doesn't look quite so bad.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Well, Google seemed to be quite ashamed when Apple made the "nutrition labels" mandatory. They stopped updating some of their apps for months. Now they will face the same thing in their own app store. I wonder if they will reduce their data collection so it doesn't look quite so bad.

You're right, it was an odd admission of shame by Google.

I'm just doubtful that it had much - if any - impact on people's usage of Google's apps or services.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Google realizing they need to try to build trust but they'll take the time to find a way to make it look trustworthy while still collecting all your data.

exactly this, the general public will be fooled with such marketing wors meanwhile not reading the fine print in the last page of a 182 pages Terms and Agreement .

I just don’t understand. I’ve been using Google services for almost 15 years now. Yes I use Apple hardware, and mainly icloud.
But I’m a heavy long time google services user and don’t feel the least bit violated. I use Google knowing my searches, emails etc are not private. It’s pretty obvious since almost everything is free.

The problem is that most people do not know how this all works. For example, they probably think that they and only they have access to their email accounts. You can tell because I bet most of them are exchanging very pesonal information on them with another friend/family member/work colleague. They are unaware that Google employees can view and read all their emails along with all the media it contains. And that is just email.

If you are aware of the situation then you made your choice and that is ok. Some people are even ok with exchanging their nudes for few dollars. To each his own.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
exactly this, the general public will be fooled with such marketing wors meanwhile not reading the fine print in the last page of a 182 pages Terms and Agreement .

The problem is that most people do not know how this all works. For example, they probably think that they and only they have access to their email accounts. You can tell because I bet most of them are exchanging very pesonal information on them with another friend/family member/work colleague. They are unaware that Google employees can view and read all their emails along with all the media it contains. And that is just email.

If you are aware of the situation then you made your choice and that is ok. Some people are even ok with exchanging their nudes for few dollars. To each his own.

With all the awful malware and ios exploits as of late, and you’re worried about using google search and watching YouTube lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.