Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Version 2.0 of Google's Podcasts app is currently rolling out, bringing CarPlay support for users on iPhone and iPad, according to the app's release notes.

googlepodcasts.jpg
Google Podcasts now supports Apple CarPlay so you can more easily and safely listen while you drive. We've also made several bug fixes to improve performance.
Google announced its Google Podcasts app for iOS back in March. As part of the release, the previously Android-only app received an overhaul that makes it easier to find podcast content, create lists of favorite podcasts, and customize the listening experience.

The app's interface has a simple focus that features three tabs: Home, Explore, and Activity. The Home tab features new episodes of subscribed shows, while Explore displays new show and episode recommendations.

The Activity tab displays listening history, queued episodes, and downloaded podcasts, with automatic downloading supported for each podcast a user subscribes to.

Google Podcasts 2.0 can be downloaded from the App Store starting today. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Podcasts 2.0 Adds CarPlay Support to iOS App

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
It can't be any worse than the horrendous and embarrassingly inept and out of date native iOS podcast app.

Haven't had a problem with Apple podcasts personally and it seems to be one of the only ones around that lets you customize downloading schedules properly and have stable support for custom RSS. It did have a period of instability and bugs a couple years back but the iOS 13 version seems to work pretty well. Windows support is also a plus.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Haven't had a problem with Apple podcasts personally [...]

Yeah, I never have either, and I use it quite a bit, probably have 30-40 podcasts I listen to (picked up quite a few more over the last couple months ...), and I like the reasonably seamless experience between iPhone, iPad and Carplay.

Maybe my usage model is simple, I mean, I just hit the app, refresh library, play/pause, go to the next one.

**shrug**

To be honest, I wasn't even aware of the Google product, I'll probably check it out just for hoots - though sometimes a UI really clicks with me, so who knows, maybe it'll be my new "go to" podcast app.

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It can't be any worse than the horrendous and embarrassingly inept and out of date native iOS podcast app.
Podcast is one of the stock apps that’s more than sufficient for me. I don‘t need any more features, it’s syncs across and It gets the job done.

cuwickliffe

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
I don't have any real issues with the stock Podcasts app, but I've also found success with Overcast on CarPlay (and, of course, iOS). The sound processing it does I feel makes spoken-word podcasts sound better than the flat sound from other podcast apps that don't provide any ability for tuning.

medee88

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Austin, TX

My major disappointment with the stock app is how poorly it syncs podcasts between devices. For example, handing off a podcast to the HomePod listening to a bit, then try and pick it back up on the phone and I frequently have to fast forward it to where I was. Same issue with podcasts app on MacOS, so it’s got me hunting for other options. (Seems like the cloud syncing isn’t working reliably for me)

I don’t super have any other obvious gripes besides that though.

highground

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017

There was a time when the native app chewed your battery and spit it out. These days it seems they've gotten that under control. I've found it has less bugs and annoying quirks than the 3rd-party apps I've tried and, while the UI isn't perfect, once you know your way around it's quite efficient.

What do you think's so horrendous and inept about it?

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Using the stock podcast app, I have never been able to get syncing work right between any Mac and any iOS device, going back to when it first became a feature. But since I almost exclusively listen to podcasts on my phone these days I could live with that.

What I can't live with is Apple deciding to stop updating a podcast because I go a few days without listening to a complete episode. There are some lectures and classes where it just makes sense to get them all downloaded and then to listen to them consecutively in a single day, which Apple refuses to let me do unless I handle everything manually. Until I have the option to tell Podcasts app to keep downloading new episodes whether I've listened to one this week or not, then I'll continue to use iCatcher and Downcast.

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
My major disappointment with the stock app is how poorly it syncs podcasts between devices. For example, handing off a podcast to the HomePod listening to a bit, then try and pick it back up on the phone and I frequently have to fast forward it to where I was. Same issue with podcasts app on MacOS, so it’s got me hunting for other options. (Seems like the cloud syncing isn’t working reliably for me)

I don’t super have any other obvious gripes besides that though.

My experience is the same. The stock app does a good job of syncing subscriptions between devices but it doesn't sync timestamps. Syncing seems to be an issue for many podcast apps though. I've tried many and Castbox is my current favorite because of the UI. At least with Castbox it is possible to "force" a sync but you have to log out of your current device, log back in to the current device, and then log out and log back in to the device you are switching to.

They say syncs occur every 30 minutes but I'm finding that isn't the case for me.

Another favorite for podcasts is PocketCasts. I moved away from it because I prefer the UI of Castbox but I hear people rave that the newest version of PocketCasts does an excellent job of syncing.

Reactions: medee88

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
After Google closed Google Reader (and many others that I’ve used), I made a point to find *any* other product than that offered by Google to meet my needs. For podcasts, I use Pocket Casts which syncs placemarks across all my devices (iPhone, iPad, Sonos, Win 10), is very configurable, and works great. No need for any Google podcast app here.

BTW - the default Apple app only works on Apple products, so I can’t listen to my podcasts on my Sonos system, or on my Win 10 system. Other than that, it seemed good.

Last edited:

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I use the stock podcasts app and it gets the job done. I don’t use any google product unless I have to and there no alternative. What does this app offer over the stock podcasts app.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Hopefully someone here can help me...

I have a lot of podcasts I like. I often only listen to them in my car with my CarPlay stereo. I don't download them to my phone, but rather will stream them over cellular (or Wi-Fi if I'm home). I've tried a couple of different apps, and it doesn't look like any of them will let me group my podcasts within folders/categories.

When I'm in my car, I have a *VERY LONG* list of podcasts that I have to scroll through alphabetically to find the one I want. What I want is a high-level folder/category (e.g., Football, Politics, Technology, etc.). Do any podcast apps support that (and support it via the CarPlay UI)?

Also, I often find that the description for a particular podcast episode gets truncated too much on the screen where I'm scrolling through the episodes, so I'd also like an app that shows the full description for each episode as I'm scrolling through and trying to determine which episode I want to listen to.

schneeland

macrumors member
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
Another favorite for podcasts is PocketCasts. I moved away from it because I prefer the UI of Castbox but I hear people rave that the newest version of PocketCasts does an excellent job of syncing.

PocketCasts also has problems with syncing across devices, especially when playback happens in the background (i.e. when using CarPlay or Bluetooth in the car). But in general it works well enough (it's my main podcast app for quite a while now), has a nice web UI and also supports playback via Google Chromecast Audio.

Innuendo84

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
When I'm in my car, I have a *VERY LONG* list of podcasts that I have to scroll through alphabetically to find the one I want. What I want is a high-level folder/category (e.g., Football, Politics, Technology, etc.). Do any podcast apps support that (and support it via the CarPlay UI)?
In Overcast you can create playlists with specific podcasts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.