Google Podcasts App Expands to iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that its Google Podcasts app is expanding to iOS, and as of this morning, it is available for download on the iPhone and the iPad.

In addition to bringing the Podcasts app to iOS devices, Google has also overhauled it, making it easier to find podcast content, create lists of favorite podcasts, and customize the listening experience.

Google's redesigned Podcasts app focuses on Home, Explore, and Activity tabs. The Home tab features new episodes of subscribed shows, while Explore displays new show and episode recommendations.

The Activity tab displays listening history, queued episodes, and downloaded podcasts, with automatic downloading supported for each podcast a user subscribes to.

Google Podcasts can be downloaded from the App Store starting today. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Podcasts App Expands to iOS

4jasontv

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2011
This is nothing like the Apple podcast app. Good on google to push innovation in new areas. Still, what about podcasts I share with others? Is there a way to turn on GPS and to tell google who else is listening to complete there data collection?

Reactions: niji

anshuvorty

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I used it briefly and I was disappointed that it doesn't support password-protected or otherwise private RSS podcast feeds. The ones that you usually get through a Patreon subscription...

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
This is nothing like the Apple podcast app. Good on google to push innovation in new areas. Still, what about podcasts I share with others? Is there a way to turn on GPS and to tell google who else is listening to complete there data collection?
I mean, you just share a link to a podcast and they can click play and listen. Regardless of browser, os, platform, etc. stop bastardizing google.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Any time I try one of these Google apps, I like it for a time but give it up. Not worth the Annoyance Tax. They messed with my photos, including iPhoto. I've got five copies of each to those ID pix you used to write on your pictures. They're not caring for you as a maker of great code; they want to have their hands on your data. Your photos. the people you talk to. What you say? Is that right or left? We need honest interactions on the internet. Also: beware of free. Nothing's free.

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
No option to import podcasts from another app. Weird queuing. Castro is way more polished. IMO the most underrated podcast app.

ChromeAce

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I am perpelexed why Apple never trademarked the term “podcast” and puts up with other people using the term. “iPod” is a trademark so I’m sure they could legally claim any “pod”-related term in connection with it.

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Apple Podcast app sucks balls so maybe this will push Apple to iNNoVaTe
I'll agree that the Apple Podcast app sucks but I don't see Apple fixing it since better third party apps already exist. My biggest hate with the Apple Podcast app is it'll decide not to download podcasts it thinks you no longer listen to. It's not such a big deal now with LTE but in the old days I would want to listen to a podcast only to find out Apple decided for me that I didn't actually want to. Now I'm happy with Overcast. My podcasts are always there when I want to listen to them.

Reactions: tennisproha

BMox81

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
If you could remove all the episodes in your sub lists one go and add your own RSS feeds say from a Patreon, then I’d say it would be quite good, if only for the cross platform element.

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I'll agree that the Apple Podcast app sucks but I don't see Apple fixing it since better third party apps already exist. My biggest hate with the Apple Podcast app is it'll decide not to download podcasts it thinks you no longer listen to. It's not such a big deal now with LTE but in the old days I would want to listen to a podcast only to find out Apple decided for me that I didn't actually want to. Now I'm happy with Overcast. My podcasts are always there when I want to listen to them.
I just want them to add a way to organize podcasts you want to listen to versus saving favorite podcast episodes as bookmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.