Google + Privacy: Is It Realistic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by redAPPLE, Jan 11, 2009.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi guys.

is there a realistic fear, that my (private) information is not safe with google?

example, if my gmail account contains words regarding "Apple", would they "sell" or give away this information so, they could earn money?

this goes the same way with google docs, calendar etc. (basically every google service).

how safe are my information?

thanks for your input.

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

And everything you type on Macrumors.

That's the internet, I'm afraid.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Gmail is as safe as any other email service out there. Your ISP has access to your email. Microsoft has access to your hotmail, and Apple has access to your .Mac/Mobile-Me account. As for using web based office, I wouldn't go near that junk.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have a lot of documents on google docs - customer information. Nothing personal like SSNs, but we do have name, address, phone number, along with what they are paying for each house. I wonder if I should continue with that sometimes.

Google docs makes it so easy for me to keep and maintain all this stuff and my husband and our business partner can access it all easily.

I'm interested in everyone else's opinions on this.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Google has a LOT to lose if it comes out that gmail or docs data isn't private. I'm not saying there's any guarantee, but it'd really surprise me if Google didn't do everything it could to keep this information secure.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

To be perfectly honest, I'm more concerned about our business partner and a sales person we have more than Google.:eek: It has crossed my mind more than once though.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Google also supplies universities and corporations with customized Gmail service; I should hope it's private.

Google self-admittedly scans email to provide the user with related text-based ads, but the evidence seems limited solely to this intrusion; any accusations beyond this would be unwarranted. If Google was storing this information or selling it to third parties I'm confident we'd know about it by now.

However, it's a very good idea to ensure your information is secure, and at this point that seems to be the case.

10. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

so the general consensus as of now is that it is safe to use the free google services, without fear that they would use this information against us (at least) in the (near) future.

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Be afraid of the cookie man. Be very afraid of the cookie. You know, that one that lasts until 2029.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Google has stood up to a lot of big bodies (US Government, RIAA etc.) when they have been asked to supply data and their company motto is "Do no evil". They make their money from advertising, not selling data. I trust them more than any other company out there.

13. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Why do you trust them more? Just because they tell you they will "Do no evil?"

P-Worm

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Because they would be sabotaging their successful business model if they began purposefully betraying their customers.

15. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Googles biggest asset is the data that they have collected. Why wouldn't they try and keep it as private as they possibly could?

16. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

For the company as a whole, I agree with you. But what happens when some employee wants to start selling the information for personal gain?

P-Worm

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That is a concern but hopefully Google will have some strong internal procedures in place to try and keep the risk down. As I said, it's definitely in their interest. This stuff happens but you are just as likely to have this go on at any other company. I hear the post office has big problems with people stealing passports and money out of the post, so nobody is immune.

18. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

That 'hopefully' you say is what I was getting at. I don't trust Google anymore than I trust people in general - and, frankly, that frightens me a bit. I just think it is very dangerous for one entity to be in control of so much information. I feel the same way about facebook and so I refuse to set up an account with them.

P-Worm