Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google pulled access to YouTube through Amazon's display-based Echo Show smart speaker on Tuesday, a move that appears to have angered Amazon and led to conflicting public statements by both companies over the sudden move.

"Currently, Google is not supporting Youtube on Echo Show." That's the message Alexa started giving Echo Show owners yesterday afternoon when they tried to access the video service. An Amazon spokesperson later confirmed to The Verge that YouTube was no longer available on Echo Show devices, and offered a statement implying that Google's decision had been an unwelcome surprise.

amazonechoshow-800x618.jpg
Google made a change today around 3 pm. YouTube used to be available to our shared customers on Echo Show. As of this afternoon, Google has chosen to no longer make YouTube available on Echo Show, without explanation and without notification to customers. There is no technical reason for that decision, which is disappointing and hurts both of our customers.
Google issued its own statement to The Verge shorty afterwards, contradicting Amazon's assertion that the move had been made without fair warning.
We've been in negotiations with Amazon for a long time, working towards an agreement that provides great experiences for customers on both platforms. Amazon's implementation of YouTube on the Echo Show violates our terms of service, creating a broken user experience. We hope to be able to reach an agreement and resolve these issues soon.
The move comes as a blow to Amazon's hopes for its Echo Show smart speaker, given that it has been marketed with a heavy emphasis on the device's display, which lets users see details related to their Alexa queries and watch online video - food recipes for instance, which are often hosted on YouTube.

Google's decision to pull access reflects similar moves by the company to protect its vision of how the YouTube service should function and appear to users. Earlier this month, Google forced popular iOS app ProTube off the App Store after serving the developer multiple takedown requests because it said the app violated YouTube's terms of service.

Article Link: Google Pulls Access to YouTube on Amazon's Echo Show Smart Speaker

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Amazon's implementation of YouTube on the Echo Show violates our terms of service, creating a broken user Alphabet Inc. shareholder experience.

ftfy, Google.

That's not the metric for user experience, otherwise ProTube wouldn't have delivered what you are unwilling to deliver yourself to iOS users.

This is all about the dollar.
What ticks me off more though is that they get away with it and nobody is reporting stories like these with the decent share of WHY customers get shafted yet again.

Also, if you think this is tech news, no it isn't. Stories like these belong on newspapers, dare I say front-page even, because YouTube has an unmatched large audience and whatever they do on that platform directly translates to how people consume not just funny cat videos, but also news, shows, educational content, etc...

YT is bigger than good ole TV for an entire generation so as long as they want to reap the benefits of a close-to-monopoly status they should be held to very high standards of accessibility.

Glassed Silver:mac

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I love how the PR wordsmiths at google tried to somehow tie this to 'user experience'. As if we havent been watching their cat videos on youtube on dozens of much worse platforms over the years.
This is about money and competion, plain and simple.

'User experience' my ass.

Last edited:

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
It's because apple and amazon have got back into bed, with amazon prime on appleTV and Alexa on iOS amazon music app.
Amazon now selling appleTV but not the google equivalent.

Bit pathetic of google to be honest, many folk will use 'Show' in their kitchen for cookery youtube videos.
"Fish and Chips tonight darlin', from the takeaway, someones pulled the plug on the recipes I wanted to surprise you with".
So Joe Public lose in this merry-go-round.

But it shows that allegiances are being drawn up....
Bill Gates saying he uses an android phone in an interview last Sunday.

Last edited:

NexusUser

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2016
Betting this had to do with the lack of Chromecast support for Amazon prime video. Once Amazon let's Google Chromecast owners have access to Amazon's video service, I'm sure Google will return the favor and allow Amazon hardware owners access to Google's video service.

Reactions: jadot and 69Mustang

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
I must be in the minority not understanding the hype about amazon. I’ve only ever ordered a couple few things from them. Mostly because they don’t take PayPal.

Reactions: gixxerfool

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My only comment is (and not pertaining to anyone in this thread) - many people in this forum would think Apple was smart of doing this because it's a good business decision. I'll wait for more information before judging either company

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I must be in the minority not understanding the hype about amazon. I’ve only ever ordered a couple few things from them. Mostly because they don’t take PayPal.
Very fast delivery (with prime) - sell pretty much everything. Often very good prices. Good music and video streaming services. Better than average hardware. Things like the amazon basics lines are interesting too, Amazon make the best lightning cables I’ve ever owned, bizarrely.

They deliver about 40% of my groceries too.

They do so much now it’s hard not to find something to like, even if they are a tax dodging megacorp of dubious moral standards.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Betting this had to do with the lack of Chromecast support for Amazon prime video. Once Amazon let's Google Chromecast owners have access to Amazon's video service, I'm sure Google will return the favor and allow Amazon hardware owners access to Google's video service.
This to me, seems the most likely reason for the yank. Also, Google probably wants Chromecast units back on Amazon's site. Amazon funnily enough, sells Chromecast accessories but won't sell Chromecast units. Derp.

In a delicious bit of irony, I think Google crafted their response specifically to needle Amazon about this: “It’s important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion.” - Amazon's reason for dropping Chromecast and Apple TV from the site.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Those claiming this is because they see Amazon as competition or other reasons seem to misunderstand how Google makes money. They only make money if they get video views. If people aren't watching YouTube, Google isn't gathering data and they aren't showing ads which in turn make them money.

Amazon was either blocking ad, blocking Google from gathering data about viewers, or providing a crappy experience for users once they clicked on ads through YouTube on the Alexa. Plain and simple. You stop Google from making money on their product and you should expect to be cut off. Same would be true with any business.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
This to me, seems the most likely reason for the yank. Also, Google probably wants Chromecast units back on Amazon's site. Amazon funnily enough, sells Chromecast accessories but won't sell Chromecast units. Derp.

In a delicious bit of irony, I think Google crafted their response specifically to needle Amazon about this: “It’s important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion.” - Amazon's reason for dropping Chromecast and Apple TV from the site.

Yeah, this is just the latest battle in the long war between Amazon and Google. Ask Amazon how well Prime video works on the Chromecast or where you can buy a Chromecast on the the site where you’re supposed to be able to buy anything.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Google’s move is no different than Amazon not selling google media devices. So although their statement is rubbish you can understand the reason and it’s only 50% google fault.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Well that sucks for innocent users of the product, regardless of which company is to blame (which seems clear as mud at this point).

There is no technical reason for that decision, which is disappointing and hurts both of our customers.

Is that quote really real?! It sounds like a joke. :D

Last edited:

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
Very disappointing news. I have a couple of Echo Shows and love watching YouTube videos on them. Hopefully they'll work out the issues and bring YouTube back soon. The fact that I've never seen an ad on the Show while watching YouTube may have something to do with Google pulling the service.

Reactions: cjgrif
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.