google push email iphone questions, please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bob2131, Dec 24, 2009.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, im a new iphone user, set up a google mail account, followed google instructions to set up email with Mail app for iphone. its working. but i dont understand some things. And every iphone user i speak to confused me further with conflicting info.

Some iphone users i know dont even use push as they dont understand it.

Im a big fan of using email on phone so i wanna get to grips with this.

 push email does not get pushed when phone is in sleep mode, correct? this is not good i feel, as you have to manually switch phone on and only then it is updated/retrieved. I think also it only retrieves/checks google server when you open up the Mail app.

 the show 200 mails settting in iphone. what does this mean? is there a 200 email storing limit on iphone? or is this simply to VIEW emails initially? and then we can simply expand the view and download more?

google mail server for email account is huge, so can iphone keep getting push emails until the iphone drive capacity gets full?? eg only limited to our drive space

Yes ive just tested it, i had to open the Mail app, only THEN an email got retrieved. This is not proper push technology is it????? if this is the way it works, this is no diff to checking gmail using safari on phone.

when i set it up via googles instructions, they said not to do it via microsoft exchange, i think it was via add account>other, and then manually writing in the addresses and servers.

it would be nice to get an email pushed to my phone, in the same way we recieve texts and phone calls. We get them even when the phone is in sleep mode.

thanks in advance for any help given.
    cheers.
    (im based in uk, i dont know if its a diff procedure for usa or other countires)

2. lange79 macrumors newbie

I followed these instructions and push email works great on my iPhone, I receive emails even when my phone is in sleep mode.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

The show 200 email just shows the latest 200 emails, which IMO is too much. I personally only show 50.

One thing to note with push email, when you delete an email from your phone it will be deleted from your account (placed in trash).

To get a better understand for Exchange ActiveSync, take a look at:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/04/26/120520.aspx

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thankyou

yeah it looks like i followed the set up instructions for IMAP, instead of Google Sync.
    I read googles advice comparing imap to pop3 and they said to use IMAP so there you go.

so sounds like IMAP is better for battery life as its not constantly pushing.

shall i just delete account from iphone and follow google sync set up instructions? (for same email account)
    deleting acount from iphone doesnt affect the actual google account does it?

4. lange79 macrumors newbie

It will not do anything to your Gmail account.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

it does get emails pushed in sleep mode and I have mine set up to show the last 2 weeks of emails.