google quicksearch and quicksilver

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aki, Jun 10, 2009.

1. aki macrumors 6502a

i used to use quicksilver before but it got crashy and so i decided to wait for the google version to get going

but it sounds like some people are still working on quicksilver.....and then some people are complaining about google quick search in particular that it has a silent background updater app which runs all the time

does anyone know if this is true about the updater.....and generally is quicksilver the best choice in your opinion??

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I can confirm that Google Desktop creates processes that run in the background and can become troublesome. It's also very hard to completely uninstall since its daemons are always running. I'll never install it again. Quick Silver was OK, but I found it unnecessary. Spotlight is good enough for me. I only use it as a quick way to open apps. I know where all my files are at and can use a regular find on the off chance I need it.

3. glasserp macrumors regular

ehh i just sucked it up and downloaded gqsb and it works great for what i want it to do, just an application launcher. i never got into using quicksilver for commands and copy+paste stuff or anything too hi-tech. gqsb works great for me and has definitely come a long way since last winter.

4. aki thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the responses very useful

for myself i dont like daemons and stuff unless its an app i need and trust and google qsb is erm well hm :eek:

the main well a main reason i liked qs over just spotlight was that it always was faster for me.....i find spotlight always has to think and grow up a list of matches and i sometimes have to wait to make sure the default selection doesnt change etc.....but qs was instant for calling up my apps or docs i used often

i guess i could switch off more spotlight options but then its not really so useful

anyone know how stable and reliable the latest versions of qs are?? oh and the wikipedia page which feels like its maybe out of date mentions some version of qs called alchemy... any idea what that is??

anyway again thanks for the opinions!!