Google Rant

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by miknos, Nov 12, 2015.

1. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

For some stupid reason I decided to upload my p̶o̶r̶n̶ personal videos to Google Photos and now my videos are downscaled to 360p. If you uploaded a 480p video, forget about it. You're screwed (no pun intended). Only 720p and 1080p are saved in original resolution. As for the quality. They all suffered due to compression.

Google doesn't screw you right away. I uploaded the videos, checked the video quality (was okay) and few weeks later, BAM! Crappy 360p quality videos. They even have the audacity to put a 240p option.

This reminds me of some discontinued Google products. They offer a great free service, people sign up, Google collects a lot of data and the service is closed. Naive of me to trust that company again. I'm removing Google from my life slowly.

Search? DuckDuckGo. No ads and I find it better than Google today.
    Photos? G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ Flickr. 1TB is plenty and they don't screw your pics/vids quality.
    Email? G̶m̶a̶i̶l̶ iCloud (better looking @me address)
    Browser? C̶h̶r̶o̶m̶e̶ Safari, Chromium, Firefox…
    Cloud Storage? D̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ DropBox (5 GB I think), Box, MEGA (50 GB free and private they say), MediaFire (50 GB free).
    Docs? D̶o̶c̶s̶ MS Office, Apple Pages.
    OS? A̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶ iOS.
    Online Videos? Can't escape Youtube. At least you don't need an account to watch a video. If for some reason you can't watch due to age restriction, just add nsfw (not safe for work) before youtube address and It will load. Like this [​IMG] . There's an option to save the video too!

Can't escape:
    Maps? Still using Google Maps and Waze. Going to get rid of it when Apple's make turn by turn available in my country. Soon I hope.

2. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

Yeah they also shut down a site called meebo, I used to use that a lot, came back to it after a long time to find google did that.