Google re-directing virus

Discussion in 'macOS' started by menc5579, Aug 1, 2011.

1. menc5579 macrumors newbie

Hi people,

I am really struggling with what I think is a Mac virus. I am running a OS X 10.6.8 on my Macbook Pro.

There other day I was sucked into installing a 'flash player' update that had popped up on a website. I realised pretty quickly that this was a fake and I have now infected my computer. The virus affects both of my web browsers- Safari and Google Chrome when searching on Google. Basically the results appear on Google after I have done a search but when I click on one I am redirected to other websites. It does not occur on every search but most. I have ran a number of anti-virus programs including Symantec anti-virus, ClamXav and Virus Barrier Express but all conclude with '0 infected files'. With some reading I have done I'm worried the virus is hiding itself from the anti-virus programs. I’m also very worried that my Macbook has an open gateway for Hackers to access it.

I have tried resetting Safari and another of other things like trying to manually find the virus but so far have had no luck.

Any suggestions of help would be much appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Since there is NO ****ING virus for Mac OS X, you couldn't find one.
    Maybe the part titled "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" in the following FAQ can help?

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.