Google Reader app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldSchoolMacGuy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Since the updated look of Google Reader the scrolling has become really jerky (seems lots of users are complaining about it and it's not just a Mac or Safari thing). I'm looking for a decent desktop app to view my Reader subscriptions with. I tried Reeder but it doesn't show pictures in the stream without clicking on the article heading to view the whole thing each time. I would like something that displays it pretty much like Google Reader does so I can just click the subscription and scroll through all posts.

Suggestions?

2. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

I know it doesn't help you know, but give Vienna a few more weeks. It's being revamped to sync with Google Reader. Should be released "soon".

Vienna is outstanding.

You can check out the sync Beta here.

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

When did they release the new beta?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using NewsRack. It syncs with Google Reader and works well for my RSS reading needs.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i use Reeder on my iMac since i loved their interfaces for the iPhone and iPad.
    works great for my needs and doesn't have a clunky interface either.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

I have it both on my Mac and iPhone. I like the interface but just showing the post titles without a summary or graphics doesn't quite do it for me. I want to see each post rather than click the ones I want to read each time. Really makes things slow when you're going through a feed that adds hundreds of post every day.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure what you are after with the summaries, but here is how NewRack shows a summary for each article.

[​IMG]

8. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Do I have to click on each article to display it like that? I want to simply click the name of the feed and be able to scroll through all of the posts without clicking anything and be able to see each one as I scroll along just like they do in Google Reader.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you scroll you will see the summary like where I pointed in the middle column, but the actual article as shown in the far right pane of my cap is not shown unless you click the article.

If you want to scroll through all articles you could just click on "All Articles" at the top left of my cap then scroll through the entire list, or you can just scroll through by folder like in my screen cap.

10. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Aaaah doesn't quite do what I'm looking for then. Thanks for the suggestion though.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

I really like Gruml. Give it a shot (should be free still).