Google Redirect Problem With a Twist

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Paulyboy, May 31, 2011.

1. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

Yesterday I suddenly started experiencing the Google Redirecting issue while using Chrome, so I checked Safari and Firefox and it's happening with them as well. After doing some extensive searching I learned alot about this issue. However everything I read indicated that this is a problem with clicking on links in Google search results then being redirected somewhere else. In my case I'm only seeing this occur when trying to go to my "iGoogle" homepage. I don't see anything abnormal doing Google searches.

I usually get redirected to this:

http://www.searchdiscovered.com/?dn...Y74ZTZqpt2WtJhs7YnaXSt1LVKHdnhBFO8T2o&cifr=1&

I've ran MacScan twice and came up clean. I've reset my browsers I've flushed the cache using that Terminal command. I've followed the instructions laid out by "GGJstudios" in the post that is so often referred to in discussions about this issue. None of this has solved the issue. Basically the only thing I haven't tried is factory resetting my Airport Express which I will do if necessary. However since my redirecting issue is only present when I try to go to my Google homepage and NOT from Google searches I thought I'd ask first before doing anything really drastic (like resetting my router which would be pain because I'd have to set up my wireless printer again which wasn't easy).

Thanks in advance.

-PN

P.S. I got this "No Script" Add-on for Firefox that prevents this behavior from occurring in Firefox but it seems like only a bandaid solution and I'd much rather use the other browsers anyways.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's only occurring on your iGoogle home page, I'd look into removing gadgets and any custom theme you might have. Then add them back one at a time until you find the culprit.

3. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Amazingly that appears to have solved the problem! Of coarse I'll feel more confident after a few more days without problems pass but I'm really surprised (and grateful) it was as simple as this. I basically deleted the "Swagbucks" gadget and a few others I almost never use and that did it. I'm not certain which, of the few, was presumably causing the issue but that's ok because I've already spent enough time on this.

Would it be ok to change my DNS server back to what it was before? I had switched it to the OpenDNS ones you listed in your post (which obviously had no effect)? Thanks so much. :)

-PN

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My suspicion would be Swagbucks, which I have blocked permanently with my ad-blockers.
    As long as your DNS servers weren't causing any problems, it's fine to switch them back.

5. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Done. Thanks again. :)

-PN