Google Releases Chrome 73 With Support for macOS Mojave Dark Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google today released Chrome 73, the newest stable version of its Chrome browser for Mac and Windows. Chrome 73 has been in beta testing since February, with several new features included.

On macOS Mojave, Chrome 73 introduces support for Dark Mode. The browser window will display the darker colored theme automatically whenever Dark Mode on Mojave is enabled. Dark Mode in Chrome looks similar to the darker toolbar available when using Chrome in Incognito Mode.

[​IMG]

Other new features in Google Chrome include tab grouping for better organizing multiple tabs, support for keyboard media keys, and an automatic picture in picture option enabled when swapping away from an active video.

There's a new Sync and Google Services section under Settings to make it easier to control data collection settings and other options, spell checking improvements, and a new badge API that will let web app icons include a visual indicator for things like unread item counts.

There are a number of changes for developers in Chrome 73, including signed HTTP exchanges, constructable style sheets, and support for Progressive Web Apps on Mac.

Multiple security fixes have been addressed in Chrome 73, with Google outlining security updates in a blog post. Chrome 73 can be downloaded using the update button in Chrome if you already have it installed or through the Chrome website.

Article Link: Google Releases Chrome 73 With Support for macOS Mojave Dark Mode

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Now if only machine learning could be utilized to automatically create aesthetically pleasing CSS for dark versions of websites. Any time I switch over to the web after working on something like a design, photograph or my code editor I am nearly blinded.

3. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Any improvement in data mining? I know it knows that I went to the market two times today, but does it know what have I purchased there, and how much of it? Does it know how much money I gave to the cashier, and what was the change?

It needs improvement in that area.

4. Preclaro_tipo macrumors regular

These videos from Google are a really good idea. I'm die-hard Safari but now that I've installed Chrome for dev needs and I think developing a browser without secrecy, like Apple, is awesome. I'd like to see Apple promote their new features.

5. dkeane macrumors newbie

dkeane

Why isn't the text on a new tab a lighter gray? Can't read it.

6. Intellectua1 macrumors newbie

Intellectua1

No, but your credit/debit card company does, as well as all their "partners" which also have partners they share data with, don't forget your bank knows as well including their partners and partners of partners, the store you purchased the products from and all their advertising and marketing partners.
    Now who exactly do you think you can hide data from these days?

7. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

JGIGS

No one is making you use it. We've heard this all before. Move on.

Oh and this:

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

What about anti-adblocker actions? Is the adblocker blocked in Chrome 73?

9. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

That's not how machine learning or design works.

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

How to you get it to auto change to dark mode?

11. robbysibrahim macrumors regular

robbysibrahim

You must be on the default Chrome theme for it to auto change with macOS.
    Set it back to default in Settings here: chrome://settings/appearance

12. nezr macrumors regular

nezr

Does anyone know how to get predictive text on the Macbook pro touch bar?

13. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Thx but mine is on default...

14. Ted_Appleseed macrumors newbie

Ted_Appleseed

Same feels. These texts are invisible!

15. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Chromium is open-source, this too will remain a medium issue.

Much more pressing issues for the liberty of users of the internet these days are things like Article 13 and 11.

Or the current anti-terror filter proposals in the EU.

THAT is the kind of stuff to be worried about.

Adblockers not working in the what is essentially just a advertiser salesman's fork of Chromium that is free to tinker with (and has MANY firms and organizations forking from) is by comparison a low priority issue.

Meanwhile Google is tiering up the marketing team to pitch their filter technologies to companies that cannot afford developing their own techniques to sustain the right to exist in the brave new world of filtered and pre-approved free speech.

I raise my fifth glass of wine to that, my friends. Today I found out deer is remarkably tasty, much more than the House of Commons' brexit debate I witnessed from the comfort of my own home thanks to modern technology.

Glassed Silver:mac

16. Verita macrumors regular

Verita

Stop it with your facts. Machine learning will raise our children and save us all!

17. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

Let them first add support for the "prefers-color-scheme" query. For the time being, only Safari 12.1 and Firefox 67 support it...

18. thebluepotato macrumors member

Is it me or is "grouping tabs" not available on macOS? I've just installed Chrome 73, liking the dark mode, but no way to group tabs...

19. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Developers are able to support dark mode through CSS now. It's not hard creating a basic "smart invert" style site. And indeed
    Dark Mode for Safari
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/dark-mode-for-safari/id1397180934?mt=12 can do this automatically for every site.

20. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

does ad blocker still work? if not im not giving up ad free browsing for something like dark mode

21. thebluepotato macrumors member

AdBlock works for me

22. dempson macrumors regular

Not just you, and not just macOS. I can't see it on Windows either. Perhaps it has been excluded from this version despite being in betas, e.g. not quite ready yet?

23. MrGuder macrumors 68030

I can't get this to work, I'm on Chrome 73 and Mac OSX Sierra but when I go to Chrome settings appearances Under Themes it only takes me to the Google Store for extension. Does this not work with Sierra?

24. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Did you read the 1st sentence in the 2nd paragraph? Short answer, no go on Sierra.

25. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

Is there a way to force dark mode on if you're using High Sierra?