Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has updated the Gmail for iOS app to version 2, bringing much requested features like multiple account support, autocomplete predictions for searching, an infinite scrolling inbox, and the ability to RSVP to Google Calendar invites from within the app.

gmail2.png
Six months ago, our team set out to completely rebuild the Gmail app for iPhone and iPad to give you you a faster, sleeker, and easier experience on iOS. The result? Version 2.0. With version 2.0 of the app, you'll get a totally new look and feel, plus a bunch of improvements like profile pictures in messages, numerous new animations from swivels to transitions and infinite scrolling in the message lists.

The app also adds many new time-saving features. For example, when you search, autocomplete predictions will appear as you type, shaving off precious seconds (and typos). Plus, you can RSVP to Google Calendar invites as well as +1 and comment on Google+ posts directly from the app.

Last, but certainly not least, we've added a feature many of you have been waiting for: multiple account support. You can now login to up to five Google Accounts from the menu and switch between them with a couple taps.
Gmail for iOS can be downloaded free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Note: Some users have reported issues downloading or updating to the new Gmail app, but Google promises the issues are only temporary.

Article Link: Google Releases Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Looks nice, but says no longer available

Maybe it will replace sparrow once google or apple solve the issue. Getting the same error on iPad and iPhone.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Does anyone know if the app supports push email? How about Gmail accounts that are on other domains (my university is powered by Gmail but the email address is not gmail.com).

Suspended
Jun 11, 2010
well done google... everybody wants youtube for ipad but instead they waste time remaking gmail

intox

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Does anyone know if the app supports push email? How about Gmail accounts that are on other domains (my university is powered by Gmail but the email address is not gmail.com).

App asks if you'd like to receive Push notifications when launched, so I'd guess yes.

I'm logging into Google Apps accounts without a problem, so I guess thats a yes too.

eharley

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
Anybody having trouble with the 2-factor authentication trusting the device?

I am being asked every time I sign in to do the 2-factor authentication thing.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Why is this needed?

I get my gmail mail in the Apple mail app (along with Yahoo & Hotmail). Seems to work fine.

If I had a gmail app I would be going to two places to get my mail.

zachimal

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
South Carolina
I get my gmail mail in the Apple mail app (along with Yahoo & Hotmail). Seems to work fine.

Because this way offers better integration with Gmail. There's nothing wrong with another choice (especially when it's the "native" app to this email provider).

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm getting told that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available". I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Delete the Gmail app from the iPhone and then go back into the app store and then install from the available updates or previously purchased apps. BTW, a great upgrade to the Gmail app.

intox

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010

Gmail app is more tailored to Gmail.

Also, with push notifications from Gmail we're now getting immediate notifications when an email is sent, rather than the Fetch system that works with Apple Mail.

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Boston
I tried the Gmail app when it was first released and wasn't too pleased, especially not having the ability to add multiple accounts.

But, with this update, it is quite nice!

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
Delete the Gmail app from the iPhone and then go back into the app store and then install from the available updates or previously purchased apps. BTW, a great upgrade to the Gmail app.

No need to delete app first. Just go to purchased apps and install from there.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
So to use this app, and no longer use the native ios mail app, what needs to be done? Input my account info into this app, then go into Mail Settings in IOS Settings, and delete my GMAIL and Exchange accounts?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
All right! Multiple account support! Those of us with Apps accounts for work thank you for FINALLY adding this.

Now, if only it'd stop telling me "the item you tried to buy is no longer available" when I tell the App Store to update the Gmail app... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.