Google Removes 'OK Google' Search Activation in Latest Chrome Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Google released Chrome 46 with a long list of bug fixes and feature improvements to improve memory and power usage, but unmentioned was the removal of "OK Google" voice-based search activation.

As noted by VentureBeat, it's no longer possible to use the "OK Google" phrase to trigger a voice search, which has been a feature built into the Chrome browser since May of 2014. "OK Google" was removed from the Chrome browser on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but is still available on Chrome for mobile devices and Chromebooks.

Image via VentureBeat

Google removed the feature because it wasn't heavily used, and its deletion should help save power and speed up browsing as the Chrome browser will no longer need to continually listen for voice commands.

"OK Google" search activation is just one of the lesser-used features that Google removed this week. Also being nixed is the notification center, which Google says "few users" visited on a regular basis. It will be removed with the next iteration of Chrome.

Article Link: Google Removes 'OK Google' Search Activation in Latest Chrome Update

scottishwildcat

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Good. Who would want Google listening to your every word anyway?
Me. Since I run a mixture of Android and iOS on my mobile devices, Google already knows everything about me, and that suits me fine as long as Google Now continues to be streets ahead of Siri.

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Damn, I liked that feature and was wondering why it was missing. I wish apple would just add an always on "Hey Siri" to Macs...
You do know that long before Siri or Google for that matter, Apple OS has had the ability to be control a multitude of functions by saying computer followed by a command?

RedWing512

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Tinfoil much for not wanting greedy Google to sell even more of my information then they already do? k.
Look who's calling who greedy--Apple still sells overpriced gadgets with little storage and no way of expanding it, in the hopes you'll spend even MORE money.

Let me pose this scenario to you--I'm guessing you use social media in some capacity? If you do, guess what, they use your info as well! They have to monetize in some fashion, so they'll sell your info for advertising purposes.

In my mind, it's not a big deal. They're providing a good service, for free, in exchange for me sharing a little info with them. I don't have anything to hide, so I shouldn't have anything to be afraid of.

BennyBean

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2015
Funny. They've been running ads using the "OK, Google" phrase on YouTube as recently as Tuesday evening.
That's not for computer-based Chrome, that's for Android. You can (and I do) use it all the time on Android. It's always "on" and extremely useful in the car.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
It's Friday so I'll bite. What information of yours do you think Google sells?

/adjusts cheese in trap
Exactly. Google doesn't SELL any info on you more than any other company would.

Why? It's the reason their advertisements have such an edge over the competition.

It's like selling your company assets. Sure, you make a quick buck, but meanwhile your competition gets ahead of the game and you lose clients. (ad sales)

And I doubt they don't get enough info as it is so they would try to speech-to-text data to improve already pretty accurate data on you. Waste of bandwidth, effort and resources. The return is mediocre.

Glassed Silver:mac

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I associate OK Google with Google Glass.

Guess this reflects the failure of that wearable. Won't be surprised to see the iWatch hot on its heels, I'm afraid. Hope it sells billions, but fear it will struggle to reach 5 million.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Decided to play around with Apple's Dictation & Speech after reading this article. That Alex voice on Text to Speech is super cool. He even takes a breath before starting some sentences :)
That's rather amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.