Google requires stock android theme on all 4.0 Devices with Android Market

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by chrf097, Jan 4, 2012.

1. chrf097, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Quote comes from this Engadget story, and you can also learn more on the Android Dev Blog

Quote from the Android Dev Blog:
    So, now all the Android users don't have to look at Samsung's terrible TouchWiz UI or Sony Ericsson's....whatever that garbage is, and you have to admit, like Android or not, the new UI has some really good visual styles that maybe iOS 6 could learn from.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Samsung Sense? Surely you mean HTC Sense or Samsung TouchWiz.

I am glad that they've stopped the custom skins though.

3. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Thank you for letting me know that mistake. I fixed it. :)

4. pjo macrumors regular

not sure this is the right forum for this thread, but doesn't that mean that once droids start updating to ICS there won't be a real reason to get a nexus prime?

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Good. I liked HTC's Sense UI on the older versions of Android, but the newer versions are nice enough to stand on their own. The others like Motoblur always sucked.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

None of you are understanding the story. This is not about the UI. People will still get HTC's Sense or Samsung's TouchWiz.

This is about widget theming in apps. Before, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola could remove Google's theme and replace it with their own and all applications would use the color/design of the vendor's theme. Now, they'll have to option on a per app basis to use Holo, Google's theme.

In other words, an app will look the same running on every device if the app developer picks Holo. 1 set of screenshot on the market will look the same on your phone.

This says nothing of the actual "desktop" UI, which would still be a skin (TouchWiz, Sense, Blur, whatever).

8. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

But they can't replace Holo and use their own theme. Sony can't replace the stock android scheme and put their own horrid...whatever it's called UI Skin. It may not be stock, but it won't be demented like TouchWiz or Sense.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Manufacturers can still replace the Default Theme as usual. Most widgets / apps will probably continue to use that, so they look native on any device.

All this is doing is adding a standard theme (Holo) for developers to use if they wish their widget or app to look the same everywhere.

Btw, I think some people get confused about themes vs. homescreen launchers. The latter are easy to change.

Personally, I love HTC's Sense UI (colors, launcher, widgets), and so do a lot of other people. On the HTC Flyer, it's terrific and so are their full screen widgets.

10. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Sense isn't bad on their higher-end phones (Evo 4G, Rezound), but it's their designed-for-lowerend phones (Merge for example) that suffer and run bad with it.

11. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yes, they can still replace the default UI and use whatever they want. Again, read the story and understand this is not about TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Sense or Rachael, it's about the widget set used by Applications.

App developers can now either force Holo or use the "current selected theme". That's it. Your HTC phone would still be have a Sense UI. Your Samsung phone would still have a TouchWiz UI. Your Sony phone would still have Rachael.

A widget theme is not a UI. I think the best example, though this may fly straight over people's head, is GTK+ themes vs the Gnome or XFCE desktops. Both Gnome or XFCE desktop environnements use GTK+. You can theme GTK+ (Ubuntu uses Human as their default theme). What this article is saying is that Google would force everyone to ship their "GTK+" theme known as Holo, but everyone could still either choose to run XFCE or Gnome as the UI.

XFCE/Gnome = Sense, TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Rachael
    GTK+ = Holo

12. RawBert, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

BTW, the UI will slightly resemble Windows Phone 7 & Win 8 Metro. :)

This'll be fun.

13. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Sorry to be off topic, but did Sony really name their interface "Rachael"?

[​IMG]

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It's the name thrown around on Android news sites.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

SE are known to name their products after women.

16. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Sounds like a complete mess.

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Stay away from the mess with a Nexus device.

18. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Which one is the most "faithful" to how Android should be? I have only used an SGS2 and while I wasn't blown away, it did seem better in comparison to at least a couple of the HTCs I've used.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Your opinion is anecdotal.

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Everyone knows Android is not as polished, refined, or as smooth as iOS. It's common knowledge. Android's advantages lie elsewhere.

21. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

The only two pure Android devices that are currently supported are the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus.

Whilst the SGSII is one of the better examples of an Android handset, I'm not a fan of the iOS-ification of Android with their TouchWiz layer.

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I wish my carrier actually had a Nexus. I would get one in a hurry.

23. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I see what you're talking about. It looks like this is what Google officially puts their name to:

http://www.google.com/nexus/

It's probably as close to vertical integration as Google gets (assuming they don't just haphazardly put their name to it for basic marketing purposes.) I think I'll spend some time with it and get a feel for what Google intends Android to be.

At first blush, if I were a Google/Android fan I'd probably confine myself to this particular Android device.

24. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Going from Nexus One to Nexus S then Galaxy Nexus hasn't been bad at all and probably why my Android experience has been more positive than other experiences.

I've been lucky enough not to deal with Motorola's locked bootloaders, borked updates or Samsungs sloooooow update releases (my SGSII is still on Android 2.3.4 I should say).

I got burned hard by an Orange UK branded HTC Hero which sat on Android 1.5 for months and was eventually updated to 1.6 at around the time Eclair (2.0) was released. Not only did HTC Sense slow down the release of the firmware, Orange UK sat on it for months to add their "optimisations" when it was eventually released. During this time the Nexus One was launched and I imported one in from Google as soon as it was released.

EDIT: Not entirely sure why you're being downvoted for that comment either as it makes sense from my experience! :)

25. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

There's this small group of towering intellects on MR that down-vote everything I say, no matter what it is.