Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has updated its My Account service to include a feature that helps iPad and iPhone owners locate their lost or stolen iOS device (via TechCrunch).

Previously only available to Android owners, the new feature now appears when users sign into their Google "My Account" page under the section "Find your phone", where options exist to locate a device, lock it remotely, call it, secure an account, leave a callback number on its screen, and more.

Google-My-Account-1-800x500.jpg

The find and lock features don't actually let Google take control of lost iOS devices, but instead redirect users to the iCloud website, meaning they aren't a replacement for Apple's Find My iPhone service.

However, tools for calling a lost phone, remotely signing out of a Google account, and locating a local lost and found should come as welcome additions for Google account holders.

Users can access the My Account page from the iOS Google app, by saying, "OK Google, show me my Google account". The company is also working to make the features easier to access in other ways, so that users will be able to access their My Account page simply by Googling their own name, for example.

Google's My Account site launched last year to offer Google users centralized access to privacy and security settings across the company's services. Other options on the My Account site include Ads Settings, Privacy and Security checkups, and more.

Article Link: Google Rolls Out 'Find Your Phone' Account Services to iOS Owners

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Now everyone is trying to "attach" Apple, while Apple "carefully select cooperators" to establish business partnership.

Kinda interesting.

For service itself, umm, nothing much. Once Find iPhone remotely wipes out your iPhone, then no need to worry about Google accounts on device anymore.

Reactions: John Mcgregor

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Its Perfect for Google business. They can know track you wherever you go.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Could be useful if your phone is lost and you forgot you had an iPhone, or an Android.

Good they've also included a tutorial for people who forgot their handphone number:
ask a friend

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Google should probably focus on getting half it's **** OUT of beta first, before it's starts adding unnecessary junk to a platform that has had this feature for years already. Not to mention it does it better.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are many mail providers, many calendar providers, many messenger services, many browsers, etc., why is it so surprising or outrageous that someone else might provide a similar service to what Apple provides? How are people acting so "shocked" over this? :confused:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
While it seems similar to Find-My-iPhone, there's an important difference: privacy statements. Google is much more likely to turn over location history data to legal authorities if requested while Apple can't access it. Google does have a privacy setting to turn off location history, but the default is for it to be on.

Screenshot of Google Chrome (6-2-16, 1-03-13 PM).png

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Ye I would let Google track my phone.. So glad there is still a company like Apple in the world, as much as we bitch about them, it makes me happy to have an iPhone and never have to pander to google or Facebook to manipulate me and use my information to make billions.

Do you use Snapdchat? Twitter? Pretty much all online services tracks you in some shape or form.

What you guys don't understand is Google does by sell your information to adviser, they sell your behaviour. Online advisor does not know who you are or what you do, they does not even care. What is important to them is what you searching.

I use Google now all day long, it is very useful and it is great. Quite frankly, I want Apple to track my stuff, so it can provide services similar as Google Now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.