Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is rolling out a new Gmail app feature in time for the holiday season that allows users to more easily track their packages directly from within their inbox.

gmail-package-tracker.jpg

In a bid to help users stay on top of order and shipping confirmation emails over the festive period, Gmail will show a simplified view of a user's package tracking and delivery information.
For orders with tracking numbers, Gmail will prominently display your current delivery status in your inbox list view and in a summary card at the top of individual emails. Package tracking will be available across most major U.S. shipping carriers and will provide important details at a glance, such as estimated arrival date and status — like "Label created," "Arriving tomorrow" or "Delivered today."
Users can opt in to receive the package tracking updates in their inbox using Gmail's settings. Gmail will then automatically look up order statuses using tracking numbers and surface them in the user's inbox. It will also proactively show delay labels and bring the emails to the top of the inbox. Google says the new package tracking features will roll out "in the coming weeks."

Google's system is vaguely reminiscent of the package tracker that Apple recently introduced in iOS 16, but distinct in that Apple's tracker only works for orders from supporting businesses that are purchased using Apple Pay. Also, Apple's tracker is built into the Wallet app, rather than its stock Mail app.

Article Link: Google Rolls Out Gmail App's New Package Tracking Feature

Reactions: decypher44

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Will be interesting to see how many people choose the "ask app not to track" option, but subsequently opt in to this. Giving Google permissions to see and track all of your online purchases seems a little suspect to me!

Reactions: Brad7

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
It's nice that Google gives us for free some of the information about our purchases that it charges other companies for.

Reactions: Brad7

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
There’s a cool little app for Macs and iOS called Parcel that I found in the App Store that tracks shipments beautifully. It’s $2.99/yr. Was wondering when it would get sherlocked by Apple or someone.

Reactions: newyorksole

Apple_Gabe

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2022
I go back and forth between the Gmail app and Apple's Mail app. I prefer the Gmail app because you get instant notifications when emails come in and the server updates faster, where as I get few to no notifications from Apple mail and there's issues with the server constantly. But I do prefer Apple's Mail's layout over the Gmail app, which is the only reason I keep going back to Apple Mail. I think it's time for Apple to give its Mail App a refresh.

Cheesehead Dave

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2020
I wish Apple would do this with Mail. I never use the Gmail app.
Siri already suggests calendar entries if it detects an airline confirmation email; you'd think if it's already using data detectors for that, it could "see" shipping numbers as well and offer to track those.

Maybe they're afraid that it would look too creepy?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Data Detector setting in the privacy app with settings for what apps Siri can look into and what types of info you're fine with it looking for and tracking for you.

Reactions: _Spinn_

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I go back and forth between the Gmail app and Apple's Mail app. I prefer the Gmail app because you get instant notifications when emails come in and the server updates faster, where as I get few to no notifications from Apple mail and there's issues with the server constantly. But I do prefer Apple's Mail's layout over the Gmail app, which is the only reason I keep going back to Apple Mail. I think it's time for Apple to give its Mail App a refresh.
I'm hoping the Mimestream developer turn his attention to iOS when the Mac app comes out of beta. He worked for 7 years on Apple Mail, and the Mac app feels on par with Mail, but tuned specifically for Gmail. I use it all day long at work, and it's remarkably stable and polished at this point.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I wish the Gmail app could connect to iCloud email. I know they want you to use Gmail since it is well the Gmail app. I like the layout of it a lot more than Apple Mail.

Or does it work with it?

Last edited:

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Siri already suggests calendar entries if it detects an airline confirmation email; you'd think if it's already using data detectors for that, it could "see" shipping numbers as well and offer to track those.

Maybe they're afraid that it would look too creepy?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Data Detector setting in the privacy app with settings for what apps Siri can look into and what types of info you're fine with it looking for and tracking for you.
That would be fantastic!

So does that mean there is no need for me to order that gift to myself as Giggle already knows my heart's desires and are going to play Santa and send it via DHL to arrive at my location on Christmas day? I can't wait will it be that new car or kick ar$3 monster of living room flat screen Sony TV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.