Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Google Similar Images.

Google News Timeline.

Google has launched two experimental products it hopes will change the way users search for pictures and news.

A feature known as Similar Images uses a picture rather than text to find other matching images.

Timeline presents information already available in Google News but organised and displayed chronologically.

Alongside these features is a new version of Google Labs, in which users can take a peek at what its thousands of engineers are working on.
BBC.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The similar image is a bit interesting but definitely not perfect. I really did not see much better results than the normal text based Google image search.

I will keep it linked for further testing.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
When I first saw the concept I thought it would allow you to upload an image you had to find a similar one, but on exploring it it isn't that all. It's a cool idea but it's a lot less effective than it should be. It mostly just seems to find images of a similar color and general topic.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
When I first saw the concept I thought it would allow you to upload an image you had to find a similar one, but on exploring it it isn't that all. It's a cool idea but it's a lot less effective than it should be. It mostly just seems to find images of a similar color and general topic.
You could use tineye.com to do that. It allows you to either upload, or provide a link to an image, and it will search for similar ones on the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.