Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has added the ability to join one-on-one Google Chat voice and video calls from within the Gmail app, the company has announced.

gmail-calls.jpg

Before now, it was possible to make calls from within the Gmail app on iOS and Android, but users had to send an invite to a Google Meet video conferencing call, which was more convoluted and limiting.

In future, however, users will be able to tap new phone and video icons that appear in the upper right corner of individual one-on-one chat screens in the Google Chat section of the app.

In addition, users who initiate a call from the Google Chat app will now be redirected to the Gmail app, highlighting Google's intention of putting the Gmail app at the center of its communication platforms.

The call feature is rolling out from December 6 for everyone with Google Workspace, G Suite, or personal Google accounts.

(Via The Verge.)

Article Link: Google Rolls Out Voice and Video Call Features to Gmail App

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2021
Oh yeah. It must’ve been tough to try to extract data, while trying to eavesdrop on a FaceTime call with the help of secondary gadgets like Google home. With the call placed via a Google service, it would be much simpler as Google would get a copy of the clear video of the conversation. And yes, it would obviously be “End-to-end encrypted” ?

• Haha
Reactions: psxp and Huck

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Only a matter of time before Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint all get Chat, Voice and Video Calling features.

A video call used to be a cool product/service, but now it's mainly just a feature that is added just about everywhere.

Reactions: Nermal and psxp

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I personally don't use the gmail app but hope these functions perform well for those that do. Hangouts was best to me before Meet was added, and google chat app was just lousy for me, I don't understand why google struggles with messaging still.

LivingMyBeachLife

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
If it's FREE....YOU are the product. With the number of GMail users there are, Google knows such about its users, they can be their own branch of the Federal government. I gave up GMail for ProtonMail .

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
So this already bloated 340MB app will get another 200+MB more bloated.

An EMAIL app does not need video/audio calling features.

This is the only Google product I still use and I’ve hated every minute of it. I really need to move all my online accounts off of GMail.

JoForumBlueGold

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
Only a matter of time before Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint all get Chat, Voice and Video Calling features.

A video call used to be a cool product/service, but now it's mainly just a feature that is added just about everywhere.
Craig Federighi: "Okay hear me out on this one...let's bring back iTunes...WITH BUILT IN FACETIME"

• Haha
Reactions: wanha and psxp

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
So this already bloated 340MB app will get another 200+MB more bloated.

An EMAIL app does not need video/audio calling features.

This is the only Google product I still use and I’ve hated every minute of it. I really need to move all my online accounts off of GMail.
But if Apple does it you will say the same thing ?

Reactions: psxp

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Crikey! Google is gonna do to Gmail what Apple did to iTunes, what MS did to Words--bloat, bloat, bloat.

Gawd, I miss the 80's Unix philosophy: "A program should do one thing and do it well."
Apple's Mail app can't even do its one thing well. I made the mistake of trying to search for an email from one year ago using the built-in mail app, never again.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
But if Apple does it you will say the same thing ?
Yes. I absolutely would. Apple keeps pumping out questionable new “features” just to promote new phones, just to sell the same devices again and again to the same people every damned year.

Apple has too many widely different markets going at once (computing, music, payment processing, and a goddamned car??!!?, etc).

The Apple Mail app should NEVER be turned into a video calling app.

Reactions: JoForumBlueGold

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Apple's Mail app can't even do its one thing well. I made the mistake of trying to search for an email from one year ago using the built-in mail app, never again.
I’m able to use the search to find emails I’ve had since 2010 with no issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.