Google safe browsing service unavailable on Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jazzandmetal?, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I repaired permissions and this message is still appearing. I have reset Safari and I can't get it to go away. What is this message?

It is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside saying Google Safe Browsing is not available at this time. No updates for 1 day.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Same thing here... it tells me no updates for 8 days.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Go to Safari preferences, to the Security tab. De-select "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website."

4. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't it safer to have it on.....I mean when it is working?

Why is it not working? My friend has the same internet provider and on his two macs he said he isn't getting this.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Huh. Mine's suddenly decided to work again. :confused:

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Safari has come a long way but it has trouble keeping up with Firefox. They say Safari is faster but my pages load in a blink of an eye in Firefox. How much faster do you need :confused:

7. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Mine still isn't working.:mad:

8. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

But I logged into one of my other accounts and Safari is fine. It is just this one. How can I fix this?????

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Uncheck it, quit Safari. Relaunch, recheck. That's what made it work for me... I think.

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Well, everyone's FF doesn't load in the blink of an eye. :rolleyes: My FF is at least 2-3 times slower than Safari. In Safari, I can load a page and be scrolling and clicking the next link before FF has finished loading.

I like FF, but for my system, there's no doubt which is faster.

11. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Are you running Safari 4? Because it blows FF out of the water...although the 3.5 firefox betas are quite snappier...

Cheers.

-J.-

12. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Yes when I use Safari it is V4 but I guess I have used Firefox for so many years without problems I just stick to it. They earned my trust and Safari hasn't. I know I would have to give V4 a better chance so it's not fair to make the judgment but Firefox proved it's self on the Windows platform and the Mac platform...

13. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that multiple times and it didn't work. But I downloaded Onyx and did all the maintenance and cleaning and that seems to have fixed the problem. Fingers crossed.:)

14. miss.moo macrumors newbie

miss.moo

Google safe browsing service unavailable on Safari

It says the same thing in my Safari Preferences under Security. I have checked "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website." Then under that with a gold triangle, it says The Google Safe Browsing Service is unavailable. No updtes have occurred in 1 day.:confused:

I'm also confused if I wrote this problem in the right place. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to fix the problem. I asking for help on how to fix the problem. Reply to Thread didn't sound like the correct place to ask a question.:eek:

By the way, I have Safari 4.0.3. I think it is the latest. Even though I have my share of problems using Safari browser, I find Firefox too busy. I prefer simplicity.

15. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Weird, I've got this too — "No updates in 137 days"

Maybe it's a virus! :eek:

16. miss.moo macrumors newbie

miss.moo

Google safe browsing service unavailable on Safari

Sorry I'm so late in replying on this thread. I have so many problems on my Mac, that I let my mail stack up. I just now read your reply. I have just recently switched to Firefox. If I keep Firefox simple, I think it will work better for me than Safari has been doing.

My Accounts Folder in System Preferences has nothing in it. I can't go anywhere because they are asking for my Administrative User Name and Password. I don't know what it is. They want the one that I used when I first set up my iMac Intel Core Duo 3 3/4 years ago. Since it is not written down anywhere, I have tried every username and password I can think of. I get the message that it is invalid, so I can't access, for example. disk utility so I could at least repair my permissions. This is just one problem. I wonder if you can have a crash and not know it. I think I had a crash. :eek:

17. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh655.html

18. shawnperson macrumors newbie

19. boyshark macrumors newbie

Google Safe Browsing Not Available

I found this same problem on my Mac this afternoon - have never seen it previously. After finding the Google problem this morning, I did a search for the issue, found the forums here and read the previous posts but none of the other reports seemed to apply to me - I had no new software installs (third-party), I'd never had the problem before, I'd already tried resetting Safari, restarting the computer, and so on. The only things I could think of were the newest security update from Apple (which installed last night before I went to bed), and I also remembered changing one setting about 2 days ago. In System Preferences, Security section, under the Firewall Tab, I had put check in the "Stealth Mode" box (based on recommendations from articles I was reading about security issues). Wanting to make sure I'd tested all the variables before I asked for further help, I went to Firewall Settings and removed the check from "Stealth Mode". I then went back to Safari (I had not closed it), expecting that I would need to restart Safari and maybe even restart my Mac, but to my surprise the yellow triangle was gone.

I don't know enough about Mac to say for sure this is the solution for everyone else - just adding my experience & hoping maybe it helps someone out there.

20. stevenstromer macrumors newbie

It's the firewall

1. System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. If your firewall is on, authenticate by clicking on the lock, select 'Advanced', 'Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections', and add Safari to the allowed list by clicking on the '+' sign. OK out, and Safari will be able to reconnect with Google's servers.

21. miss.moo macrumors newbie

miss.moo

Google safe browsing service unavailable on Safari.

When I received your email, I thought it was meant for me only. I checked everything out and I don't see any problems. But then I don't see where I have the choice to 'Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections', nor do I see the '+' sign to add Safari to the allowed list. I wish I understood. I don't even know who I have for a server.

I have Safari version 4.1.3, and according to my ISP Frontier.com, the Safari I have is unsupported. I can't update it, so maybe I should go to Firefox, except that I don't like Firefox.

miss.moo
    :confused:

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I take it you have Tiger, then... Tiger's firewall does not have this feature. The option to allow signed software first debuted in Leopard. Also, going to Firefox won't help you either, as you cannot use the latest version (4.0) on Tiger anymore. Furthermore, 4.0 requires an Intel Mac, so if your Mac has a PowerPC-based CPU even upgrading to Leopard won't help.

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

My Google Safe Browsing is also down, says it hasn't updated in two days.

24. miss.moo macrumors newbie

miss.moo

I'm a little late to reply back on this topic. It is now October 18, 2012.

However, I still have the same old software, the same old problems with Safari. I don't see "Google safe-browsing service unavailable on Safari?" anymore. I need to get the next cat I know, but I have created a mental block about this.