Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Well that's pretty embarrassing then. With that massive market share and all these android devices in use, iOS still remains the primary developer platform for apps.
That's a lot of privacy to spy on.
Android phones sell in developing countries. I think it's a mistake to try and make money off of developing countries like this. It's easy to profit from Americans, either from legit apps or gimmicks or ads or spyware. But trying to milk, say, tech-savvy Indian nationals? Heck no. There are farmers living off 1500 dollars per year who have Android phones. They'll just take the free services from Google and never return any revenue to them. If they were interested in spending money, they'd have iPhones.

Facebook is trying to push this abomination, and I can't wait for them to get screwed over by it.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
If the <20% iOS global marketshare and active user numbers are accurate, it would mean iOS devices lasts way longer than Androids.

Please check your facts. Apple sold 1 billion iphones. That's over 10 years. How many of those are still around and active? Think would be optimistic to say 1/2 of them which comes to 0.5 billion. Android has 2 billion active users which is 4x. And this number is for Google connected device. There are hundreds of millions of other Android devices in China and other countries which are not in Google cloud and did not get counted.

Reactions: kdarling and leo7

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
At least there is no planned obsolescence on Android

Ummmmm, out of the thousands upon thousands of Android devices, can you name me just two from 2014 and earlier that run the latest version of the OS?

If Android has no planned obsolescence it shouldn't be too hard since that's only three years ago.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It doesn't matter how many Apple devices are activated as the new Apple iPhone 15 will sell for $99999 which will make up for the shortfall in numbers. Only 4 people will be able to afford it but who cares, it's Apple.

What on earth are you talking about?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Ummmmm, out of the thousands upon thousands of Android devices, can you name me just two from 2014 and earlier that run the latest version of the OS?

If Android has no planned obsolescence it shouldn't be too hard since that's only three years ago.
Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 5 run Android Nougat using custom ROMs

And by planned obsolescence I meant in Apple land devices start to slow down every year which doesn't happen on Android

Reactions: leo7

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'd only get a nexus stock android device because of well updates and patches. All other phones are out of the question with planned obsolescence. Just look at wanncrypt on windows, it's very necessary to have those patches.

2 billion active users sounds like it includes any android device including android tv. Apple does have a much bigger market share of active users just like with laptops. Sure android and windows out sell units but Apple products appear to be used much more fervently. When I think about my families computer use we have devices in draws gathering dust but not one single Apple device unused.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 5 run Android Nougat using custom ROMs

And by planned obsolescence I meant in Apple land devices start to slow down every year which doesn't happen on Android

I knew I should have said officially...

As for iPhone slow down, you may have had a point last year but things have changed. Go check out how the iPhone 5 (2012) is performing on iOS 10 (2017)

Reactions: bchreng

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

I have no clue. But I do know that about 100% of them are running the latest Google Play Services which Google updates automatically on every phone with Google services. It's Google's way around the lack of OS updates from their partners.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Please check your facts. Apple sold 1 billion iphones. That's over 10 years. How many of those are still around and active? Think would be optimistic to say 1/2 of them which comes to 0.5 billion. Android has 2 billion active users which is 4x. And this number is for Google connected device. There are hundreds of millions of other Android devices in China and other countries which are not in Google cloud and did not get counted.
If you assume a life of an iPhone being 24-36 months then there were about 1,000,000,000 active iOS devices as of 14 months ago. Apple passed 1,000,000,000 iOS devices 30 months ago. IDC and Gartner data only works out if you assume people keep there iPhones for 9 months.

Rework your hypothesis with data not 1/3 of a decade old.

Reactions: bchreng

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
If you assume a life of an iPhone being 24-36 months then there were about 1,000,000,000 active iOS devices as of 14 months ago. Apple passed 1,000,000,000 iOS devices 30 months ago. IDC and Gartner data only works out if you assume people keep there iPhones for 9 months.

Rework your hypothesis with data not 1/3 of a decade old.

30 months ago? You sure or not? Check your facts first eh.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/07/apple-celebrates-one-billion-iphones/

Apple sold about 600mil from 2014-2016. Say all of them still active (quite unreal). Google has 2 bil + all China Android = 4 to 5 times of Iphone ==> which makes more sense given the stabilized Android market share 85% vs 15% iphone for the last few years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276306/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-fiscal-year-2007/

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

I believe it's you who have the old figures. The 1 billionth sale was back in 2014. What I'm talking about is this statistic.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I believe it's you who have the old figures. The 1 billionth sale was back in 2014. What I'm talking about is this statistic.

OK. Sorry, I thought it was about iphone only. If we are talking about "devices" Android figure is far too low. Since Google only tracks those connected to its service, you may have to multiply that figure by 2 or more times to take into account the millions which didnt fall into Google radar (e.g. kindle, most Android in use in China and those standalone android devices like tv boxes/tablets with their own store). Unlike i-devices, there are so many alternate Android apps markets that you don't even need google account to make full use of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.