Google Search in a New Tab

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hanguolaohu, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

One of the reasons I like Firefox is I can highlight words, right click, and "Search Google" which *opens in a new tab*. Safari can right click to search Google, but it opens the new page within the same window. Is there any software to have the Google search open in a new tab? Maybe this should be a feature request.

Safari v4.0.3

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree. I can't think of a single scenario where I would want to look up a word AND leave the page I'm on.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Holding 'command' down opens everything in a new tab

EDIT: yeah you need to enable that in 'Preferences' under 'Tabs'.

4. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry but I just tried highlighting a word and holding command and nothing happened. I believe what you mean is you can open a link in a new tab by holding command. Try opening Firefox and control-click or right-click a word to see "Search Google for ..." to understand what I mean. So simple and convenient.

5. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

Found the answer:

"Holding down command while selecting "Search in Google" from the context menu opens the Google search in a new tab"

Although I wish there was an option in preferences for the Google search to open in a new tab or window. Just to make things simpler.

6. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

What kind of mouse are you using, if you have a command+click button (or can program one) you can right click and then hit the modified button and it does the same thing.

I use a MM and right click, scroll to Search in Google and press my scroll ball and it does exactly what you want.

7. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

I'm traveling so I'm using the trackpad on my Macbook Pro. Kind of used to it now, and actually really like the 2 finger multitouch commands. I don't like the Mighty Mouse, the right click is kind of hit or miss.