Google Sites Do Not Load

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tam5070, Feb 10, 2010.

1. tam5070 macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.6 on a 2008 MBP.

My issue is that anything running through Google does not load. This includes google.com, Gmail, docs/calendar, any google search bar or google forum. Most other sites work, but some like yahoo.com don't load at all either.

I get the message "Safari can’t open the page “https://www.google.com/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.google.com”."

I've rebooted my mac several times, as well as the modem and router. I reset my PRAM, and this problem happens regardless of whether I'm on wireless or plugged in directly via ethernet. There are PCs on our network that have no issue, as well as another newer MacBook that has no issue currently (although the user said it happened to him briefly the other day, but then all of a sudden google sites started to load again.)

i'm going insane without being able to check my Gmail. Someone please help!!

2. tallguy macrumors regular

Try deleting the safari preferences files. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/. Delete the file named 'com.apple.Safari.plist'. Does google load with any other browsers?

The guy in this thread might be having the same problem as you so you could try some things discussed in there.

3. tam5070 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not working

Deleting the plist didn't do anything helpful except slow safari down for a bit until it reset. I also ran MacScan and it said it cleared a bunch of stuff out including one trojan but its the trial software so I'm not really trusting what that says 100%. I really need to get to my gmail, this is frustrating.

Any idea whose customer service I would even call to try and get help? My router manufacturer, isp, or someone else?

4. tam5070 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

It seems Peer Guardian was the culprit. Thanks to this link for the tip off.

I used AppZapper to get rid of it then had to reboot for it to take effect.