Google Street View BROKEN under Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mark Booth, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Here's a weird one! Google Maps Street View is completely broken since upgrading to Snow Leopard!!

When I attempt to access Street View under Snow Leopard (by dragging the little "person" icon to a street), instead of getting a photo of the street, I get a black screen. No photo at all. If I then click Street View's full screen icon, I finally get a photo but the navigation bars are no longer overlaid on the screen. And you can't "grab" the photo with the mouse pointer to change your perspective view (can't look up, down or to either side). Further, the navigation icons in the upper left corner don't work either. You're simply stuck with the single view photo that comes up at first.

I had already installed the latest Flash version (10.0.32.18) before I ever tired Street View. Maybe that's the problem? Snow Leopard shipped with an older version of Flash (10.0.23.1) and maybe Apple did that for a reason? I had also already installed Apple's most recent update for JAVA before trying Street View.

On Apple's support forum and Google's help forum, I've found about 5 other people that are reporting the problem too. One guy said he was having the same problem and then it magically went away on its own?!?! But I'm sure 99.9% of the folks that have already installed Snow Leopard simply haven't gone to try Street View yet. I bet it's broken for a LOT of people.

What say you MacRumors forum members? Does it work for you under Snow Leopard?

Mark

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Works for me. I tried it in Kansas, and saw NOTHING. ;)

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's only happening for you, I have no issues with Google Street view in Snow Leopard. Just checked and it works perfectly.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try update flashplayer.

clean installation of new OS is always best way to go.

5. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

As I mentioned in my original message, I already installed the latest Flash Player. But, just in case, I just reinstalled it. Same problem.

Now I'm wondering if the folks that AREN'T having the problem are using the Flash Player that came installed with Snow Leopard? Maybe an incompatibility with the newest Flash Player is why Apple shipped Snow Leopard with an older version of Flash?

So, when replying, I'd really appreciate it if you could state whether you are running the Flash Player that was installed with Snow Leopard, or whether you updated to the newer Flash Player since installing Snow Leopard.

There's got to be a pattern here because other people are reporting the problem elsewhere.

Mark

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I was using the version of Flash that shipped with SL. Worked perfectly. I've just upgraded to the latest 10.0.32.18 and still works perfectly with Street View. You might wanna try a full reformat and install if you didn't do it in the first place and reinstall your apps manually for best results.

7. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Mine is working fine, I have Flash Player v.10.0.32.18 installed.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Problem with your ISP? Temporary problems with Google's servers? I dunno... it's working for me with the latest version of Flash.

I've occasionally been served weird different versions of Google pages from what most other people see, including having Gmaps partially broken a few times, and a redesigned search results page. There was an explanation for it but I can't remember.

10. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

OK, based upon the comments in the Apple Forums, I logged out of my computer as the administrator and logged in as a guest. Sure enough, Google Maps' Street View works fine when I'm logged in as a guest.

I looked over and over my Safari settings and I can't figure out what may be set "wrong" to cause this weird behavior on the administrator side. It's either that, or some startup item that's conflicting.

Hopefully, I'll eventually get this figured out. Street View worked just fine with 10.5.8 and all of my settings exactly where they are now. But since Snow Leopard changed so much core code, perhaps there's just something somewhere that's conflicting.

Whatever it is, it's VERY frustrating!

Mark

11. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Works fine for me on both the older and newer version of flash.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Works for me. I just tried it. Got the black screen for half a second and then street view loaded. No problems.

13. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Well, I tried deleting all cookies with the word Google in them (including 3 cookies that were maps.google.com). I quit Safari and relaunched it and it still didn't fix the problem.

Now that I think about it, since the same problem happens in Firefox, it really can't be a cookie problem. I've almost never used Firefox and it uses its own set of cookies anyway.

Too freakin' weird! This one has me really baffled!

Mark

14. Michel9876 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with Safari and Firefox. I removed all the fonts in <HOME>/Library/Fonts, then I restarted Safari, and, magically, it worked again. In some posts in google forums, it is said that removing arial fonts is enough.

15. bloggerblog macrumors member

I know this reply is many months later, but thank you for that last post. I've been having major issues with Flash, Google Maps, YouTube, etc. and removing Arial fixed 'em all. Whew! what a weird problem, for me it happened right after installing 10.6.3

16. flamejob macrumors member

flamejob

I have just done the same; after months of Flash being stupid I removed Ariel and it fixed flash.

Very weird.

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Don't you just hate those insidious little mermaids? :)

18. neil51 macrumors newbie

After updating my Macbook to SL 10.6.4 Streetview no longer works under Safari 4 or 5. When I drag the Streetview yellow icon onto a street it just sits there doing nothing, no longer loads the Streetview. All the blue outlines for the streets appear ok. Reinstalled Flash as well, no luck.

However, Streetview works ok in Firefox under SL 10.6.4. My iMac running 10.6.3 Safari 4 and 5 is ok. I've tried the Arial font trick but no luck. Wonder what it is, SL 10.6.4 update, or Safari, or do Google need to do something? Am I holding it wrong???