google street view on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carson44, Sep 23, 2008.

1. carson44 macrumors member

will we ever see street view on google maps on the iphone?

2. Amt macrumors regular

Apple would just reject it if someone made it as an app.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

So far, the iPhone seems to get Google Map software updates a few months after all the other phones.

So it'll no doubt come.

Only Java equipped phones have the street view so far, btw. Google hasn't done the WM, Symbian or other native OS versions yet.

4. AquaVita macrumors newbie

It's out for Blackberry. I've been using it on my curve for weeks.

It sucks for iPhone users, you guys have terrible gmaps usability. I've had transport, and walking directions as well. You guys are missing out.

5. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I completely love the current Maps software on the iPhone right now, so don't get me wrong when I say this ... I have been very disappointed that Google has not added the "bird's eye view" functionality that maps.live.com has. On my computer, it's all I use - the bird's eye view is so nice! It's such a disappointment to me when I can't have it on the Maps on my iPhone. :confused:

6. selena12321 macrumors member

yeah, only Java enabled phones have the street view and google hasn't given permission for street view to iphone. May be it is a sign of thing to come.

7. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Apple just needs to update their maps in general. There are still many wrong street names or addresses compared to google maps. The directions that google maps gives seem to be better routes than the maps app as well.

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

That's not possible. "Apple's" data sources on the iPhone are actually entirely Google's data sources and, as far as I'm aware, Google use one consolidated source of mapping data. Yes, some of the functionality is only visible on certain platforms, but the underlying data is the same. You'll have to post some screenshots of both, because it's one of those POIDH moments. I just coined that one :D

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The reason you see different maps and routes is because they come from different sources:

Google Maps Mobile (GMM) client apps on all handheld platforms use TeleAtlas map data. TomTom owns TeleAtlas now.

Google Maps web version, on your browser, uses NavTeq map data. Nokia owns NavTeq now.

(It's actually surprising to me that Google didn't buy NavTeq.)

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

How strange that they should do that in the US. They use Tele Atlas for both the mobile and web versions in the UK.

Just done a quick search on Boston (USA) though - it seems Tele Atlas is also used for the web version. :confused: (It's there at the bottom right of the map)

11. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I've heard this before and it's obviously true since I have noticed differences between the mobile and web map data, but it doesn't make sense to me. Why would google use two separate suppliers? Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to just use the same supplier for both versions?

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Oh ho! Good eyes. Turns out Google just switched to TeleAtlas for all queries!!

Google switches to TeleAtlas for North America

Must be cheaper. Google, after all, pays for at least each routing request we make. Pretty darned nice of them, in return for a few ads, I think.

Well, the point is moot now. But the original reason supposedly was because NavTeq didn't like the idea of millions of client apps using its data directly. They somehow felt it cheapened the data or something.

13. ggarriso macrumors newbie

earthscape

look up earthscape, its free for a limited time and has the street view you want.. its amazing