Google Sync and iOS 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by David87, Jun 21, 2010.

1. David87 macrumors member

Have just updated to iOS 4 on my iPhone 3GS and all is well except for my Gmail account set up to push through the Apple Mail application. This worked no problem with iOS 3, but with the new software it isn't the case. Some messages push through within a couple of minutes, whilst others won't appear until you press the Mail logo and it checks for new messages. When you do, opposed to it usually checking and saying no new messages within three or four seconds, it says "Cannot Get Mail" "The connection to the server failed". Not sure why iOS 4 is causing this issue as Google Sync worked so well under iOS 3, but I'm sure it'll be an easy fix! I've even tried deleting the account and re-configuring it, using Google's official instructions that are linked below.

Anyone else suffering the same problems as me?

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

2. ordan77 macrumors member

Yes, I also cannot get mail through Google Sync, but a secondary gmail account I have set up as IMAP only works fine. My work exchange account also works great.

If you use Google Contacts through Sync, check yours have come down OK - at the moment I only have about 10% of my contacts. Haven't looked at the calendars yet...

3. profets macrumors 601

I really hope this is just some temporary issue with google.

4. kepner macrumors 6502

I'm a developer, and have had access to iOS 4 since the keynote. Gmail Sync has been working fine with iOS 4 up until today, when everything became incredibly slow. So, I think this may be a temporary issue.

The only problem I've had before today is that having an active Gmail Sync account forces your device to Auto-Lock after 1 minute (and Auto-Lock settings are inaccessible in the Settings app, to enforce this 1 minute "requirement"). I don't think Google set this Exchange policy intentionally, so I hope they fix this soon also.

5. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Same here... Google Sync was running perfect on 4.0 GM but today, there are delays in getting mail updates even if I refresh manually. Maybe there is a server overload with all people updating their OS and doing syncs

6. David87 thread starter macrumors member

Pleased to hear this, so thanks for that. Should just be a temporary issue then! I'll do some more tests over the next day or so and report back. Good news - I love my push Gmail!

7. outphase macrumors 65816

I can't find it right now, but there is a post from Bin saying that iOS4 compatibility is in the pipeline.

8. pwb2103 macrumors member

FYI I'm still running 3.1.2 and my gmail hasn't been pushing some of my e-mails today so I really doubt its a iOS4 issue

9. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

My calendar has push through data fine, but mail and contacts are a no go. My contacts are gone and my mail hasn't been pushed for 2 hours.

Doh! :mad:

10. xhale macrumors newbie

Probably the fact that all the 3G users (and possibly some 3GS users) are doing restores right now so a mass amount of emails are being re-synced.

11. Cat1123 macrumors newbie

Ugh! This is not what I wanted to see. I hope this gets fixed.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

13. ogdogg macrumors 6502

This is a temporary issue with Google. I've been using 4.0 for months with no issues and today all the sudden my notifications are being weird. Don't worry.

14. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Google hates Apple and vice versa. Would be awesome if Google started blocking all their apps on iPhones :p Just not on my iPad please :)

15. DeathChill macrumors 68000

This is a weird thing to say.

16. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Was a joke! Does no one have a sense of humor around here? Sheesh

17. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I just thought it was weird. I have a sense of humour, but it has to be funny first. ;)

18. Kevlar macrumors 6502

19. outphase macrumors 65816

20. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I've been using iOS 4 with Google Sync for the last 2 weeks with no problem. I did a restore when the formal release came out last night and, like others are reporting, email has stopped working. The same thing has happened on my iPad which hasn't changed so it is obviously a Google server problem. I've switched to IMAP until the dust settles.

21. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I have been using iOS4 GM for the past week with no problem, everything with my gmail sync was perfect, and all emails would automatically come in under 15 seconds from when my desktop got them.

Today, all day, gmail sync was having problems getting the content of some emails, and really slow at just fetching them in general... :(

SO it was not a problem untill today...

22. 41qser macrumors regular

23. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Doesn't Gmail IMAP now push mail to mail.app with iOS4's new support of IMAP IDLE?

Has anyone been able to test this?

Using an iPhone 2G so I can't install 4.0 to test it myself.

24. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I just sent myself an email using my work account. It took 28 seconds to appear on my iPhone 3GS running iOS 4 using Google IMAP.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yep. The standard Gmail preset on iOS 4 seems to support push. Takes up to a minute or so, but so far so good.