Google Sync Not Working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manjaap, Feb 8, 2011.

1. manjaap macrumors member

Hey everyone. Is anyone else having trouble with google sync? My email is not pushing to my iPhone, but if I do check an unread message, it does sync back to my gmail on my computer. Ahhhh this is so frustrating!

2. tick221 macrumors newbie

3. sndcj1 macrumors member

Did you set it up as a gmail account, or an exchange account? Add as exchange for the better push sync. m.google.com is the server, and your full email address for the username. And make sure the fetch new data is set to push, as stated above.

4. manjaap thread starter macrumors member

yep did all that. it stopped working this evening so im not sure what could be wrong

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I set mine up as Exchange today too and now it's not working. If I go to the Mail app on the iPhone, then it finds the new mail...but it's not being pushed.

I looked on Google's forum and saw others complaining it wasn't working tonight either. I'm hoping it'll start working again soon. I know it was working earlier today when I first set it up.

6. manjaap thread starter macrumors member

cool makes me feel better. bet something just wrong with their servers

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'd love it if magically push starting working tonight *and* supported deleting rather than archiving emails. It has been well over a year since Google said they would think about fixing that in the future.

8. manjaap thread starter macrumors member

Is it not working for you as well?

9. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Working here. I get the standard push and regular 'ole delete.

10. ITASOR, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It started working again for me now. However, the above poster is right. When you delete something it archives it instead of deleting it, unless you view the All Mail folder and delete it from there.

I figured I'd just set the All Mail folder to the "Folder to Push" and do everything from there, but Sent Mail shows up there too, which makes it kind of confusing.

11. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Mine is not working either. It doesn't fetch the new emails even if I go to the Mail app.

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Check your "all mail" folder, as you're wrong, you have regular 'ol archive. The ONLY way to get regular 'ol delete is to setup via the Gmail icon/IMAP and then change the default setting to turn archive off.

13. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Any reason to set up your Gmail (I'm a google apps user) with exchange instead of Gmail?

14. aldo82 macrumors regular

Hasn't been working all day for me in the uk. If I delete the exchange account and setup a new one, it pulls in all the emails including unread ones, but from then on new emails won't arrive in the inbox. They are not getting pushed and even if I open mail to sync the account it says its up to date but the new emails do not appear

15. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Not working here either. I thought it was because I updated to 4.2.1 last night and jailbroke. Tried everything from removing the mail account, rebooting, re-adding it. Can't get emails to push. People on twitter are complaining as well.

16. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

Exchange (when it's working, lol) will push emails to your phone automatically as they arrive in your GMail account. the Gmail setting will "fetch" your emails - that is, request them and pull them down - less frequently. Every 15 minutes (or manually) is as often as it can fetch them.