Google Sync or iCloud for Contacts & Calendar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

Currently I use Google Sync with my iPhone and it seems to get the job done. Will I see any benefit to utilizing iCloud for this when it comes out? Of course there are many other features to iCloud, but this is a specific feature question.

Thanks in advance!

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

If iCloud works like MobileMe then it will be better than google sync/Microsoft exchange cause it's an Apple product.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I too have been debating whether I should switch my contacts from Google sync to iCloud when it's released. I'm leaning more toward "no" because I keep my contact's emails in their contact information and gmail is my main email client I use for communicating with these contacts. I might move them to iCloud and just manually add an email when I need to update my Google contacts. I'm just not sure yet....

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

So it's better just because it's an Apple product? I use Google Sync and it works flawlessly, so how exactly do you improve upon that?

5. kevintech macrumors 6502

brainwashed, much?

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

That's for sure :)

My personal experience as a true Apple enthusiast, has been far less than positive with MobileMe, and Apples idea of how cloud services should be executed. Not to mention the reliability issues.

Then when one ads in the fact they've used a different support model which distances the customer from their usual level of excellent support, well I'm not the least bit impressed.

Therefore even though my MobileMe subscription is still active, I've already completed the migration to Google Sync, as well as other proven cloud solutions. Now I plan to continue to enjoy the peace of mind this setup provides, while I watch others be Apples test mules with the rollout of iCloud.

If over a six month period after iCloud is released to the public, the reports are positive, then I will gradually reconsider it if there is some compelling advantage. Presently I think it's rather unlikely.

7. bgro macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm going to use iCloud for contacts and calendar but Google for mail. wooukd like to have one arrive but want to keep my email. I have a Mac, iPad, and iPhone so iCloud integrates seamlessly

8. haddman macrumors regular

Sorry, love apple, but GMAIL is far superior to MobileMe, and iCloud mail is basically MobileMe rebranded. I have logged in to iCloud and see no difference yet in the mail features. I was sending a message in GMAIL the other day and forgot to include the attachment, GMAIL came up and said "we noticed you said 'attached is' but there are not attachments, do you want to attach a file?" How smart is that. Superior filtering capabilities and organization all around. I would love to be able to use iCloud for everything, but right now they just can compete with GMAIL's features.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is my reason for considering the switch to iCloud as well; the integration between my Apple devices. But I agree, gmail will remain my email client. I was never going to switch that.

That is awesome! I literally just went to gmail to test that out myself. I never knew gmail did that.

10. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

My life is in my Gmail for 7 years. I don't think many people will change to me.com. I'll be syncing contacts, calendar on Gmail. Other stuff iCloud.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I too have an all Mac / iPad / iPhone network at home, however these other services integrate just as seamlessly as my MobileMe account did.
    Thanks for this valuable feedback. I have not tried iCloud, therefore I cannot speak from a position of personal experience. I simply know that I've followed it very closely, read all the info on Apple.com as well as various online reports. It just doesn't appeal at this point.
    Likewise, I've been using Gmail for years. It's been so reliable, with such great features, I simply cannot imagine trying to limp along with one that is not so full featured.

It's kind of like the current state of the Google Chrome browser, not only have they really expanded the extensions add-ons and plug-ins that are offered, but they are now even more useful than what my prior favorite, Firefox, offers.

That in combination with the blazing speed it delivers when one runs it on an SSD equipped computer with lots of memory like my Macs with 8GB or more, makes it the best, most enjoyable browser I've used.

12. Jest3r macrumors regular

If you sync your contacts with Google versus iCloud/MobileMe, you lose the ability to create custom labels for your contact's numbers as well as full screen photos.

13. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

It's all the same. I have a Microsoft Exchange account and it works perfectly too. Some people want an Apple email address like me, so when iCloud is opened up, I'm signing up.

14. kevintech macrumors 6502

Yep, that's why I'll stick with syncing with outlook for now.

15. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have had great experiences with both Google and MobileMe for sync'ing.

Right now, I am sticking with MobileMe. It has never failed me. My only gripe with Google is that on a few occasions I could not access some of my calendars (I use 4 for my google account) which is extremely annoying. At least when using iCal or Calendar app on iOS I have access to offline data so even if MobileMe fails to sync (it never has) I would still have access.

That's my only pet peeve with google, other than that it's great.

Gmail is fantastic and has many great features I would like to see added for iCloud.