Google Sync Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theDUB, Jun 23, 2009.

1. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I have read through the directions http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740here and searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this topic.

Which 'section' of the contacts does it sync from my Gmail account? I have "My Contacts", 5 "Groups", "All Contacts" and "Most Contacted". Will it just sync the "My Contacts" section? Can I choose what I want it to do?

Also, what do I do if I don't want all my Gmail contacts in my phone. For instance, there are people whom I haven't talked to in a long time and don't want in my phone, but I still want to keep their email address in my Gmail contacts? Can I choose not to sync them, or can I move them to a different 'section' that isn't synced?

Thanks.

2. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

It syncs My Contacts, but you have the ability to search All contacts if you're online.

3. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

First, great signature.

Second, you can't pick specific groups to sync. It syncs all but the suggested contacts (the addresses you email but didn't create an entry for).

I don't sync my Google Contacts anymore but when I did it did not carry over the groups; it was all contacts together. I believe that is still true today but someone else will have to confirm (or you can test it).

You will have more contacts than you want on the phone but now that there is search, it might not be too difficult to navigate.

4. outphase macrumors 65816

On WinMo, I used OggSync to only sync contacts with phone numbers. This kept it at a manageable level because it did exactly what I wanted. Google Sync doesn't have this type of selection, so I ended up deleting a lot of "My Contacts" which I no longer email. This shaved it down quite a bit too.