Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I use google sync currently with my iPod touch, but I might be getting an iphone soon and had one question.

If you start using the Google Sync on your iPhone, will AT&T charge you $45 per month for data since Google uses exchange to sync OTA?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
You're going to have to pay for the data regardless.

i know i will have to pay $30, but I don't want to pay the 15 extra just to use Google's exchange

No, they will not. I also use Google Sync and I have the $30/month personal iPhone Data plan.

Was there any loophole you had to do to get around a $45 data plan? Or does it just work?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I use Google Sync. It just uses the regular data plan, just like any Exchange server.

The AT&T plans say to use corporate Exchange servers, you must have a $45 data plans, but what determines whether AT&T says you are a corporate user?

shollingsw3

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2007
I always assumed that difference was that if it is a personal AT&T account, then you get the $30/month iPhone Data plan, and if it is a business AT&T account, then you get the $45/month iPhone Data plan. You can easily use Exchange features on the $30/month plan with no restrictions.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I always assumed that difference was that if it is a personal AT&T account, then you get the $30/month iPhone Data plan, and if it is a business AT&T account, then you get the $45/month iPhone Data plan. You can easily use Exchange features on the $30/month plan with no restrictions.

Yeah, I think OP you are misunderstanding. The $30 will take care of all data, the $45 is for corporate iPhone accounts of which you wouldn't be.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Yeah, I think OP you are misunderstanding. The $30 will take care of all data, the $45 is for corporate iPhone accounts of which you wouldn't be.

An AT&T rep i spoke to said exchange access requires the $45 data plan, so i was just came here to check if he was right (reps sometimes don't know their info)

tylertech

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
NC
An AT&T rep i spoke to said exchange access requires the $45 data plan, so i was just came here to check if he was right (reps sometimes don't know their info)

Google Sync is completely free, and works with the $30 data plan. The exchange account the rep was talking about was for Outlook business accounts.

shollingsw3

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2007
Google Sync is completely free, and works with the $30 data plan. The exchange account the rep was talking about was for Outlook business accounts.

ActiveSync is still ActiveSync, no matter if it is Google Sync or Exchange. The plan difference comes from a personally-owned phone and a company-owned phone. I could connect to an Exchange server with ActiveSync on my Personal iPhone Data plan and not have any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.