Google Sync with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfanboy, Jun 13, 2009.

1. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

I use google sync currently with my iPod touch, but I might be getting an iphone soon and had one question.

If you start using the Google Sync on your iPhone, will AT&T charge you $45 per month for data since Google uses exchange to sync OTA?

2. Fenir macrumors regular

You're going to have to pay for the data regardless.

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

No, they will not. I also use Google Sync and I have the $30/month personal iPhone Data plan.

4. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know i will have to pay $30, but I don't want to pay the 15 extra just to use Google's exchange

Was there any loophole you had to do to get around a $45 data plan? Or does it just work?

5. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I use Google Sync. It just uses the regular data plan, just like any Exchange server.

7. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The AT&T plans say to use corporate Exchange servers, you must have a $45 data plans, but what determines whether AT&T says you are a corporate user?

8. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I always assumed that difference was that if it is a personal AT&T account, then you get the $30/month iPhone Data plan, and if it is a business AT&T account, then you get the $45/month iPhone Data plan. You can easily use Exchange features on the $30/month plan with no restrictions.

9. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Fenir macrumors regular

Yeah, I think OP you are misunderstanding. The $30 will take care of all data, the $45 is for corporate iPhone accounts of which you wouldn't be.

11. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

An AT&T rep i spoke to said exchange access requires the $45 data plan, so i was just came here to check if he was right (reps sometimes don't know their info)

12. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

He is incorrect in this case.

13. tylertech macrumors regular

Google Sync is completely free, and works with the $30 data plan. The exchange account the rep was talking about was for Outlook business accounts.

14. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

ActiveSync is still ActiveSync, no matter if it is Google Sync or Exchange. The plan difference comes from a personally-owned phone and a company-owned phone. I could connect to an Exchange server with ActiveSync on my Personal iPhone Data plan and not have any issues.