Google Sync's inability to send an attachment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by critic81, Sep 23, 2009.

1. critic81 macrumors regular

So has anyone else had this problem. I went ahead and enabled gmail through google sync like most of you did yesterday and today I go to send a video in an email and it messed up. First off it just froze for at least like 10 minutes with the sending progress bar and the bar never progressed at all. Then it came up with an error that it couldn't send. I re-enabled my gmail IMAP and did the same steps to send the video and it sent just fine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I tried searching googles help database but i couldn't find anything. Also the video was only 2.5mb so it wasn't hitting googles limits of what could be sent in email. I'm hoping this is just a goof that will be fixed up pretty soon. Other then this issue it has been working fine and i'm getting email instantly.

Oh ya i can send regular text emails fine but for some reason when there is the attachment it doesn't work.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Were you on wifi, edge or 3g?

3. critic81 thread starter macrumors regular

I was on 3G.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you try doing the same on wifi

Wondering if perhaps there's a "cap" on attachment size when not wifi.

I don't know - I'm just asking.

5. critic81 thread starter macrumors regular

No i didn't try. I have no wifi here at work so maybe i'll try again tonight when i'm home. I doubt there is a cap though since its going through google and their cap is like 25mb and it sent fine through imap. But who knows, maybe exhange is different.

6. surfer13 macrumors newbie

Remember that this service is still in beta,so these problems are likely to occur. Plus theres probably a ton of people flooding there servers testing the new service out. No worries give it time for google to work out all the kinks.

7. muledogus macrumors 6502

I just tried with a picture and it appears it's doing the same thing you mentioned. That's a bummer, hopefully they fix that. Good thing we have MMS now haha.

Edit: I just got my test email with attachment. I guess it tells you it doesn't send but it actually does. Kind of weird and an issue that should be fixed anyway but at least it does work. For me at least.

8. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I got no errors and sent a 79KB file and a 110KB file just fine from iPhone to work email account.

<Shrug>

9. muledogus macrumors 6502

It may have just been the GMail issues earlier that were causing the problems.

10. critic81 thread starter macrumors regular

It was yesterday though, when gmail was fine. Maybe i'll try again. I still dont' like how when I delete something it archives it. Oh well.

11. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I didn't think I would like this either as IMAP actually puts it in the trash.

But I am getting used to it pretty quickly.

Plus, if you get a reply to a fairly old conversation, then the web version does a better job of keeping the conversations together if your mail is archived instead of trashed.

12. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure there is a ~10MB attachment file size limit, regardless of 3G or wifi.