Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has launched a new advertising campaign and teaser website for its upcoming "Pixel 2" smartphone. The site teases visitors with an October 4 event date, aimed at anyone who might be "thinking about changing phones" (via TechCrunch). The page presents no other information, and asks for the user's email address to stay up-to-date with alerts regarding breaking news ahead of the October 4 event.

google-pixel-2-tease.jpg

Since the original Pixel smartphone debuted in October of last year (it was actually announced on the exact same date in 2016), a similar date was expected for the new version of Google's smartphone. Rumors about the Pixel 2 have been spreading over the summer in the lead-up to its launch, with current predictions aimed at a smartphone with a Snapdragon 835 or 836 chipset, 4GB of RAM, "squeezable" sides to perform different functions, and IP68 water and dust resistance.

The Google Pixel 2 will also come in standard and "XL" versions, similar to the first generation (launched in 5-inch and 5.5-inch sizes). The XL is rumored to have premium features, however, including a larger 6-inch display with "very narrow" bezels, which the smaller device will lack and reportedly appear similar to the 2016 design. There's a chance other Google devices, like a new Chromebook and "Google Home mini," will appear at the same event.

pixel-2.jpg
The current lineup of Pixel Phone devices

Google's tease comes two days after Apple revealed the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, which have enticed many users who are ready to upgrade their smartphones -- the customers that Google is likely aiming at with its new Pixel 2 campaign. If the rumored specs become true, compared to the iPhone X the Pixel 2 will have slightly better RAM (4GB vs 3GB), water resistance (IP68 vs IP67), and screen size (6-inch vs 5.8-inch).

Article Link: Google Teases Upcoming Pixel 2 Event, Aimed at Those Who Are 'Thinking About Changing Phones'

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
People are looking to get the X because they are sick of the 6/6s/7/8 form-factor ..... so why would they possibly consider going to a cheap rip-off of the 6/6s/7/8 form-factor?
Because it's possible that users are being realistic about their money. They have bills to pay as well.
[doublepost=1505396263][/doublepost]
Damn you apple for putting me in this pickle.
Do I want to switch phones? Yes. I need to replace my aging 6+. But this years iPhones are so meh. I don't want to deal with Android, and sell my soul to google either. Uggggggh
Is that a folk tale?

DoctorDoctor

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Do I want to switch phones? Yes. I need to replace my aging 6+. But this years iPhones are so meh. I don't want to deal with Android, and sell my soul to google either. Uggggggh

And this years Android phones are meh too. But the biggest thing is Android phones run Android and that is a deal breaker for me.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Meh? A SoC that performs at the level of a MacBookPro is meh? New TrueTone displays are meh? New TrueDepth camera system enabling virtual green-screening is meh? ARKit-optimized cameras are meh? Hardware noise reduction is meh? Optical image stabilization is meh? etc etc... Seriously I don't know what you guys want in a phone. Flying cheeseburgers coming out of the screen?

But if you think this knockoff with "easy squeeze sides" is somehow not-meh, OK, go for it. Have fun.
[doublepost=1505396364][/doublepost]
Because it's possible that users are being realistic about their money. They have bills to pay as well.

He's not talking about cost, he's talking about shell design. This thing looks just like the 6-series design, complete with forehead & chin despite no home button.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Holy crap!
The pixel phones have that thick ass chin at the bottom and yet it still has on-screen home, back and multitasking buttons which just wastes even more screen estate? The chin is literally not being used for anything, it's just... there...
Based on supposed leaks, the 2nd gen is the same way yet they're going to put it up against the bezel-less iPhone X? o_O

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

I'm in the same boat. Launch day iPhone 6 Plus hitting its 3rd birthday this month. Haven't really fallen in love with anything since.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Meh? A SoC that performs at the level of a MacBookPro is meh? New TrueTone displays are meh? New TrueDepth camera system enabling virtual green-screening is meh? ARKit-optimized cameras are meh? Hardware noise reduction is meh? Optical image stabilization is meh? etc etc... Seriously I don't know what you guys want in a phone. Flying cheeseburgers coming out of the screen?

But if you think this knockoff with "easy squeeze sides" is somehow not-meh, OK, go for it. Have fun.
[doublepost=1505396364][/doublepost]

He's not talking about cost, he's talking about shell design. This thing looks just like the 6-series design, complete with forehead & chin despite no home button.
Oh i see. Even then, wouldn't money dictate regardless of form?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
What a questionable choice of words. Better ?? The phone has MORE ram, doesn't make it better in any way. In real life it is probably performing even worse.
The IP rating is also not better but G chose to use a higher rating. The specifications are almost same for ip67 and 68. Apple could choose the same rating in fact but doesn't for whatever reason.

Choosing words like this only adds to people getting a wrong idea about what is better. Being spec focused is an absolut stupid way to approach technology

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
The chin is literally not being used for anything, it's just... there..

its there so you have something to grab without covering the screen with your fingers when watching something in landscape. thats why the essential phone and the iphone x have the option to shrink the image to make the notches invisible, or just so you can grab the phone somewhat comfortably. because watching videos in fullscreen with notches and your finger on the side covering the image is annoying.

bezelless looks good on aesthetically, but practically and ergonimically its not very nice. i dont mind small bezels on top and bottom.

Reactions: bwintx

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
People are looking to get the X because they are sick of the 6/6s/7/8 form-factor ..... so why would they possibly consider going to a cheap rip-off of the 6/6s/7/8 form-factor?
No doubt you are right but at the same time I have no idea why customers would care so much about "form factor" being similar from year to year. There is only so much designers can do with shape, one side is a display, has to have places for sensors... and 95% of the time it goes in a case seconds after purchase.

Anyways, looks like competition for the iPhone SE crowd. I like that Google throws in cloud perks... makes Apple seem super stingy at 5GB combined ... regardless of how many devices.
[doublepost=1505397797][/doublepost]
Holy crap!
The pixel phones have that thick ass chin at the bottom and yet it still has on-screen home, back and multitasking buttons which just wastes even more screen estate? The chin is literally not being used for anything, it's just... there...
Based on supposed leaks, the 2nd gen is the same way yet they're going to put it up against the bezel-less iPhone X? o_O
The "chin" is doing something... helps it masquerade as iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.