Google to Acquire Apple Watch Competitor Fitbit for $2.1 Billion [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Update: Fitbit today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by Google for approximately $2.1 billion.

James Park, co-founder and CEO of Fitbit:
More than 12 years ago, we set an audacious company vision - to make everyone in the world healthier. Today, I'm incredibly proud of what we've achieved towards reaching that goal. We have built a trusted brand that supports more than 28 million active users around the globe who rely on our products to live a healthier, more active life. Google is an ideal partner to advance our mission. With Google's resources and global platform, Fitbit will be able to accelerate innovation in the wearables category, scale faster, and make health even more accessible to everyone. I could not be more excited for what lies ahead.
Rick Osterloh, Senior Vice President, Devices & Services at Google:
Fitbit has been a true pioneer in the industry and has created terrific products, experiences and a vibrant community of users. We're looking forward to working with the incredible talent at Fitbit, and bringing together the best hardware, software and AI, to build wearables to help even more people around the world.
Fitbit will continue to remain platform-agnostic across both Android and iOS, and the company says Fitbit health and wellness data will not be used for Google ads.

The transaction is expected to close in 2020, subject to regulatory approvals.

Google is in talks to acquire popular fitness tracker maker Fitbit, according to Reuters, which could help the company better compete with the Apple Watch along with its existing Wear OS smart watch platform.

The report claims there is no certainty that the negotiations between Google parent company Alphabet and Fitbit will lead to any deal, and the exact price that Google has offered for Fitbit is unknown at this time.

Google does not currently sell any own-brand fitness trackers or smart watches, but its Wear OS platform runs on smart watches sold by several third-party brands, such as LG, Huawei, and Fossil.

Article Link: Google to Acquire Apple Watch Competitor Fitbit for $2.1 Billion [Updated]

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I think we can call it on Fitbit if this happens. I don't see Google (and its employees) having the focus necessary to succeed. Fitbit will languish around for a few years and then either quietly die, or be spun off into some unknown Chinese OEM who wants to buy a name.

PhoenixDown

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
I can see how this would make sense for Google's product line but Google has a horrible track record of these things (see Nest and the recent exodus over support issues). Plus, I would rather not have all my biometrics being sold to advertisers!

Reactions: revmacian

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Oh god no!!! I’d finally be going to Apple Watch if this happens. End of story, I have 6-7 years of data on my Fitbit it’s the only thing holding me back, plus sleep data every night, if google thinks they are going to own all that data on me, I’m gone! I won’t even use google search, might as well let Facebook buy Fitbit. No thanks. It will be bye Fitbit and hello Apple Watch from now on.

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
Maybe the free share of Fitbit I got when I opened my Robin Hood account will get back to the 5.95 it was worth when I got it. Fingers crossed, LOL.

This explains why the stock is up >20% today.

GalileoSeven

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
I had kicked around the idea of buying an Apple Watch, but always discarded it given the price. A Fitbit on the other hand was a much more palatable proposition.

If Google gobbles them up though? Hell no. If I buy a wearable and start tracking personal health and fitness data, there's no way in hell I'd ever want that data *anywhere* near Google.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I had kicked around the idea of buying an Apple Watch, but always discarded it given the price. A Fitbit on the other hand was a much more palatable proposition.

If Google gobbles them up though? Hell no. If I buy a wearable and start tracking personal health and fitness data, there's no way in hell I'd ever want that data *anywhere* near Google.
So $200 and your data being secure is bad, but $70-$200 while leaking your data all over via unsecured Blue Tooth is dandy?

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
This reminds me of Microsoft buying Nokia. Google's Wear OS has been a huge failure and Google is doing what it can to salvage it one last time.

But like Nokia before it, it ultimately won't change anything. I had several Fitbits and they are low quality hardware backed by good marketing.

Reactions: dan110

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Google, the weapon of acquired device mass destruction. If google sticks to their pattern of Motorola, Nest, etc., Fitbit by google will just make Apple Watch’s business case stronger.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

FaustsHausUK

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This would be good for investors and major shareholders of Fitbit, but nobody else. Google won't know what to do with them, will absorb whatever patents and IP they can, then spit out the rest.

Reactions: Analog Kid

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
This reminds me of Microsoft buying Nokia. Google's Wear OS has been a huge failure and Google is doing what it can to salvage it one last time.

But like Nokia before it, it ultimately won't change anything. I had several Fitbits and they are low quality hardware backed by good marketing.
It's astonishing how true your words are. I have to keep reminding myself that Google is an advertising company masquerading as a technology company. It seems like Google's strategy is to make products/services just good enough to get customers to provide their data for free.

GalileoSeven

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
So $200 and your data being secure is bad, but $70-$200 while leaking your data all over via unsecured Blue Tooth is dandy?
I was just considering Fitbit (the Charge 3 or whatever) for the Sleep Tracking capability. I didn't/don't have anything against the Apple Watch (and still might pick one up at some point down the line).

$500+ though for something like that (get real on the price......:rolleyes:) is tough to justify for some people, as hard as that might be to believe.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I was just considering Fitbit (the Charge 3 or whatever) for the Sleep Tracking capability. I didn't/don't have anything against the Apple Watch (and still might pick one up at some point down the line).

$500+ though for something like that (get real on the price......:rolleyes:) is tough to justify for some people, as hard as that might be to believe.
I am being real on the price. My Nike+ 42mm GPS+LTE Series 3 cost $489 with the Amazon tax, sure. But I just bought my gf a 38mm Series 3 GPS for $200 new.

Sleep tracking, yeah, I can understand that. The Apple Watch can do it, but you're gonna be charging it at some point in the morning. I just figured since you were talking Fitbit, price was your concern.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
I was looking at the Series 5 (the EKG function makes it valuable for me). If the price drops it to the same amt when the Series 6(?) comes out, then yeah, the value proposition will make it much more palatable.

revmacian

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2018
USA
So, Google is going to buy Fitbit, slap a Google logo on it and call it a Google Watch? I wonder how long it will be before Google simply gets tired of Fitbit and sends it to the google graveyard.. like so many other Google products. One of the reasons I refuse to use Google products is that you can’t count on them being there next month.

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
A spyware advertising company will have real-time access to my health information?

Hard pass.
One good thing about Fitbit is that you can use it anonymously (ie, without handing out more than a random email address if you pass on the assisted GPS feature). Though its app can still track you via your IP address, the only way to prevent this is to use a VPN service that hides your IP address.

What Fitbit on its own could do with your IP address is probably limited but for Google that is probably enough of a hook to link your Fitbit data to the rest of your online profile.
- - Post merged: - -

The difference is that with Nokia their products already used Microsoft’s mobile OS. That is not the case with Fitbit and Google’s Wear OS.