Google to Discontinue Nexus Devices?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ucfgrad93, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I don't think it's all bad. As long as they have a plethora of options. Main problem would be a likely increase in price, since most oems wouldn't sell the nexus 5 for as low as google does. Seems silly to abandon the brand too, since it obviously has a bunch of goodwill with it.

3. Sensamic macrumors 68030

4. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Not Necessarily. So instead of 1 device running Google's stock Android experience, we now have a few GPE devices from different manufacturers, including Samsung, Sony, HTC and Motorola. So I don't think it's a bad decision, if true.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Well, we won't lose much, then. I don't want a phone devoid of, say, Samung's, at times, excellent goodies (like the panorama mode of the GS4) at the same price as the "true" model.

Losing the "true" Nexus line would be a much bigger problem - at least for people that don't want absolutely the best but can put up with the shortcomings (e.g., substandard camera compared to the Note3/GS4/G2) of the Nexus series.

6. xchampx13 macrumors regular

article also says Samsung will stop developing Tizen for smartphones in the future, sticking with Android.

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

As long as they put GE devices on the play store outside of the US. It's frustrating.

8. gotluck, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

hehe I believe I paid more (than TW GS4) for my phone to be devoid of those features :p

I agree there are good things like you list, but there's also the general bloat and along with knox, locked bootloaders and all the bs that comes with it. I'm buying android for freedom damnit! I'm not some hardcore rommer either, I just want root and the bootloader is the best/'safest' way in(you can actually root with cwm in fastboot with the bootloader locked on gpe s4, keeping warranty support), even after those timely android updates :). Samsung's latest moves towards lockdown leave me buying GPE or no more samsung in the future. They are jealous of Apple's grip.

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

10. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's just a rumor at this point.

If true there's a high likelihood Google has a smart plan in place. They've learned a lot via the Nexus devices over the last few years. With their depth and breadth of expertise, they're likely to do very well.

11. blackhand1001, Jan 27, 2014

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I think if this does happen is the nexus program will be merged with the moto x.

12. quest7, Jan 27, 2014

quest7 macrumors member

quest7

Google will keep making Nexus hardware, says Sundar*Pichai

"The idea with Nexus is to push on hardware as well," he told Walt Mossberg at this week's D11 conference, "so that will continue." Pichai denied that Google was "done" with Nexus devices, though he said the company would continue to partner with phone makers to promote its stock Android software on other devices.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/5/30/4379936/google-will-keep-making-nexus-hardware-says-sundar-pichai

This is from last year.

13. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

The most important part of that whole article

----------

It isn't even BGR. Some unknown "source" told some random Russian blogger and BGR reported on it

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Didn't this same rumor emerge around the same time last year? I can only imagine they sell more and more nexus devices each year as they keep getting better.

15. Sensamic macrumors 68030

This same rumor appeared a year ago. I remember it.

So let's just forget about it.

Next year this rumor will appear again.

16. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Don't ever forget that BGR is all click-bait. I seriously doubt the Nexus line is disappearing in upcoming years.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well Nexus 6 this year, they can't do Nexus 7 or Nexus 8 (coming soon). Just make it a Play Store Device if they device. So, maybe they will rename it.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its a mistake, there's still a market for nexus type phones, yet based on the article it looks more like a branding change.

19. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Samsung and Google recently entered some sort of partnership. I wonder if killing off Nexus, selling Motorola are all a segway into Google/Samsung domination.

20. Mackan macrumors 65816

Well, this rumor doesn't sound too unreasonable anymore. By selling off Motorola, it seems they don't want to be bothered by the whole hardware thing.
    Perhaps they just want to focus on improving Android experience with closer ties to the OEMs, perhaps also try to push a mandatory GPE for every flagship.

Motorola was their chance to have control over the hardware, now they still need to be in the mercy of the OEMs for any Nexus devices, which by default, will always have a compromise somewhere compared to the OEMs flagship.

21. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Nezus won't be around for much longer, methinks.

22. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

The recent Motorola sale makes this rumor a lot more plausible lol

23. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It looks like Google wants to get completely out of the hardware business.

24. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Yeah I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in that Google/Samsung talk last weekend!

Seems like the whole Android landscape has changed now.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

For real. If Samsung decides to go vanilla android I would be quite pleased. The Moto X with less bloat is far better than the Galaxy offerings with their touchwiz stuff IMO.