Google to have web-based version of Google Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, Aug 7, 2009.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

As reported in Appleinsider, this is GREAT news.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ns_to_bypass_apples_app_store_on_the_web.html

Apple's iphone is a GREAT product but, like all Apple products, it is a closed system. It took all but 5 days for the brain-trust a Google to stick their collective middle fingers up at Apple and asked them to sit and twirl on a web app that has all the functionality of the Google Voice iphone app but will run on ALL platforms.

Now if only Google could provide better cell coverage than att, I'd be set.

Bravo, Google! Bravo!

2. Strategy macrumors member

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For what it's worth, I have Google voice, and there's already a web interface. it works quite well on the iPhone, and SMS notifications are handled just fine without the need for push. :)

When you get down to it, having an iPhone app would've been nice, but it's not a big deal considering how they're doing it.

4. Strategy macrumors member

Yes I have it as well, but you have to manually go and check the website to get them, I know you can set it up to send your phone an SMS, but that defeats the purpose of using them to cancel the AT&T texting plan.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There already IS a web page you can reach on the iPhone. They're just making it work better and sized correctly for the iPhone screen.

"Improving a website" isn't quite as exciting-sounding as "secret plan to get back at Apple" I guess.

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

7. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

I'm glad I bought the GV Mobile app before Apple yanked it.
    It'll be nice to have this web page as a backup.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Google Voice's purpose has never been stated as "so you can cancel the AT&T texting plan."

9. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

10. IronLogik macrumors 6502

When they release this webpage update your copy of gv mobile will stop working. The gv mobile app scans the webpage for stuff it needs and if the structure of that page changes then the app will stop working

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

just another reason to JB

loving mine rings all my phones sends me exact msg in both sms and email might have to have a friend test profanity filters just because. :p but GV Mobile is fantastic one number does it all that alone makes me happy.

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman