Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Well, this will certainly signify another eff'ing failure by apple.

Browser, map and email.. Don't even get me start on social network failure.

Where is this going? Apple must secure these areas if they plan to compete in the future.

GS17

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
You can't rely on or trust any form of GPS, especially one that's free. I have a $50K car and the GPS that's built into the dash is crap.

I have a 56K car and the built in GPS is crap and they just sent me an email promoting the 2013 maps for just $240 ! But not all GPS's are crap, I use waze a lot in it works really well, other for low reception on my iPhone during a trip to Hoover Dam

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
If it's another online product that requires an active data connection to work it will be pretty useless.

-Mike

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I'm really surprised that Apple is allowing this release even if their own Apple Maps app is very flawed. The worse thing you could do is put a polished Google Maps app next to the problematic Apple Maps. I think if they really wanted to compete against Google they should have just stood their ground and forced users to use their Maps.

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
The thing is in nearly every legitimate review of the iPhone 5 or other devices that come with iOS 6 out of the box the reviewer always acts like they got lucky not having problems with Apple Maps. Are they really that lucky or is Apple Maps just not nearly as flawed as everyone (mostly people who have never used it) make it out to be?

It depends where you are. Here in Canada it's awful. Does not even find my own street! Always have to fall back on google web app to save the day.

GS17

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
If it's another online product that requires an active data connection to work it will be pretty useless.

-Mike

You mean like Apple Maps? That's an online app, all the data is not stored on the device

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I wonder what caused this sudden turn of events? I doubt because it was just ready now.

It has been in alpha and beta-testing by Google for some time already, and was recently tested in real life by some of its personal. Macrumors reported it as well, so not surprised that it is emerging now.

Can't wait :)

spring

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I'm really surprised that Apple is allowing this release even if their own Apple Maps app is very flawed. The worse thing you could do is put a polished Google Maps app next to the problematic Apple Maps. I think if they really wanted to compete against Google they should have just stood their ground and forced users to use their Maps.

So to compete and beat the other guy, you don't let him play? How is that at all a competition?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I hope that with this, people will realize that Google Maps has its own share of errors as well. Apple Maps is getting way too much unjustified hate.

Mate, you just made it back alive from the outback and now such a comment!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Won't work. They should provide people with an alternative if they want people to continue using iOS. Forcing them to use Apple Maps won't do them any good, and as you can see in many parts of the world, Apple maps is far from being operation-ready.

Google Maps came at the right time. Less people will be using Apple Maps once they start using it, and this also translates to less news about all the mistakes in them.

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Please let there be no ads on the google maps app. Please please please. Aw hell I'll still use it if there are ads.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Interesting (and important) question. If it doesn't have the features that Maps has, I'm not using it.

That's why Apple's rolling out of their maps makes sense. Google's original contract for maps wouldn't have allowed turn-by-turn, vector maps, and many other features that this app will introduce, because apple made competition on their own platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.