Google Updates Gboard for iOS With Translation Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google this week updated its Gboard app for iOS devices with a new ability to translate text into any language supported by Google Translate (via All Things How). This means that users can now send iMessages in different languages right from their keyboard, without visiting an external app.

[​IMG]

To see the translation feature, make sure that your Gboard app is updated to version 1.42.0 and then navigate to the Messages app. Open the keyboard, and then tap the globe icon in the bottom left corner to cycle to Gboard. In Gboard, the new translation feature is represented by an icon immediately to the right of the white G button in the top left corner.

From here, you can choose which language you want to translate your text into, and when you tap the translate button it will automatically be applied to the iMessage entry field so you can send it to your contact. The translation feature in Gboard first launched on Android smartphones back in 2017.

Besides translating text, in Gboard you can send GIFs, emoji, stickers, and access features like glide typing and performing a Google search. The keyboard app also connects to other Google services like YouTube, Google Maps, and Google Contacts.

Article Link: Google Updates Gboard for iOS With Translation Feature

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

this is amazing! I have been using itranslate for years but it crashes and gives horrible translations. My family lives in Russia and speaks 0 english and i speak 0 russian. I literally use this daily.

3. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

This certainly is pretty nice addition, especially for @jmh600cbr as they noted in their post above. I'll certainly have to use this the next time I'm traveling overseas.

4. chewbaka, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:20 AM

chewbaka macrumors newbie

I can't think of a better way to enhance the privacy-focused iMessage than by incorporating a Google applet.

5. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

So are you implying that the end-to-end encryption of iMessage is somehow broken by incorporating Translate?
    What's your better way of enhancing iMessage?

6. chewbaka macrumors newbie

No. But Google might be reading what I type into the translator...

And typo fixed...

7. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Wouldn't it be a little bit difficult to translate without knowing what you typed?

8. chewbaka macrumors newbie

Wow. You're so clever!

Please stop pretending you don't know what I mean. Surely you see a problem in sending your texts to Google

9. Pokeymon macrumors newbie

Pokeymon

If you'll notice, in the screen shot it does state "The text that you type in the translate box will be sent to Google for translation". I'm thinking Google won't be able to translate it if it's encrypted. Just sayin...

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I know exactly what you mean. And no, I don't see a problem translating the text through Google. Regardless of what translator is used the text is going to a 3rd party. So what's Google actually going to do?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:21 AM ---
    That's why I asked what his objection was. Breaking encryption was just me being snarky. As stated in a subsequent post, no matter the translator, the message is read by a 3rd party.

11. Pokeymon macrumors newbie

Pokeymon

Got it !

12. chewbaka macrumors newbie

But in this case the 3rd party is Google. If you don't think it's creppy that Google is reading your texts to sell you things, good for you.

13. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

3B275F84-C13E-477D-8D65-B8F12B2250A8.jpeg
    Of course Google is reading it’s a keylogger.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 68000

Foxglove9

You can still use Google's keyboard and not give it full access. Just tap 'don't allow.'

15. MisterSavage macrumors 6502

MisterSavage

Technology amazes me. How many years ago would it have been unthinkable to do this?

16. @meinertzhagen macrumors newbie

@meinertzhagen

Cool, but no thank you. I don't want everything I typed being sent and stored at Google for eternity.

17. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

Oh, a new Google post? Let me check to see if there are ignorant posts about Google being bad. Yep. Like clockwork. It will be an amazing day when talk in a thread can actually be about the Google product or service itself instead of the nonsense above we always see.

I, for one, welcome this update. My German is a bit rusty so this is going to come in handy.

Attached Files:

18. beq macrumors member

Does the separate Gboard iOS app get more updates and features than the Gboard that’s included with the main Google iOS app?

I had uninstalled the separate Gboard app since it would show up as 2 redundant "Gboard" keyboard choices in iOS (when you already have the Google app).

But it looks like the separate app already got updated with the Translate feature, while the main Google app hasn’t seen an update in a couple of weeks.

19. fairuz, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:59 PM

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

If I remember correctly, it's possible in theory for a third party to translate encrypted text and give back an encrypted translation without ever decrypting it. They're not doing this, though, and if it's possible, it's hard.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:56 PM ---
    I don't see a workaround if you actually need it, unless you learn the other person's language yourself.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:59 PM ---
    There's no need for this. He's just saying it's best to avoid using GBoard. As I said, you basically need to give them your message if you want to translate it, but people use GBoard for other reasons too.