Google Updates iPhone Interface, Again!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aniej, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I really love the folks over in Mountain View.

Less than a month after releasing the slick new interface us iPhone users have access to when on Google.com, they have done it again, offering an updated set of features when visiting the site from an iPhone. The new features include customizable tabs (awesome) and increased speeds for gmail (always appreciated).

MacWorld offers a nice, and brief (I wonder if they are busy with something else) write up on the update.

A month after it launched a customized Web portal for iPhone users, Google is introducing a new version that further integrates the company's offerings into Apple's popular phone. It will be on display at this week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco, and available to anyone who uses the iPhone.

It really is like Chanukah all over again for me, each day just gets better and better!:D

Article via MacWorld
    The services are accessed simply by directing the iPhone's Safari Web browser to Google's home page. Previously, iPhone users had access to special versions of google Search, Gmail, Calendar, Reader and other services working from a unified interface on iPhone's Safari.

On Monday, Google announced that it has further streamlined the interface, tweaking it both for speed and usability. Users can also customize Google applications on tabs in the Google.com menu bar; you can select what Google app you'd like to use by bringing it to the front menu. The tab customization includes Gmail, Calendar, Reader, Docs and Picasa accounts.

Gmail is now faster, and features "auto-complete" that will automatically fill in the contacts field of e-mails. The calendar now features a Month view. Google users can also access "iGoogle" gadgets -- mini-applications that show you weather, stock info, news feeds and other content.

Link to story

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Am I missing something? Whenever I go to google on my iPhone its the same crappy page I get on my MacBook.

3. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

too much to hope this is to prep for the tablet?

4. memesmith macrumors regular

I am missing something. When I point my iPhone at google all I get is some crappy WAP version ...

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

6. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Nope works in Blighty too; try this link...

www.google.com/m

Brill.

7. memesmith macrumors regular

huh ... Thought as much

8. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Yep! That's what works for me, too. Then again, I'm in the US.

But I love the changes. Wonder when we'll be able to edit GoogleDocs and not just view...

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

The updates were likely rolling and took some time to reach your iPhone depending on location. They look great! The blue is a nice touch and the customization ability is very very nice. Here is a quick picture of the google page on my iPhone from my MBP's built in iSight. It is obviously not a very high quality pic, but just meant to get the point across. Hopefully someone who has the screenshot application installed on their iPhone will supplement my junk photo with clear images.

Attached Files:

10. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I love how you can change your tabs around! Photos work very well!