Google Verification Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by piddlepants, Apr 2, 2010.

1. piddlepants macrumors newbie

Please could I have some help.

I am trying to verify the web site http://www.westlondonpianoteacher.co.uk

I downloaded the html google file for verification. Have tried two things.. Uploading it directly from the desktop into the iweb files in my ftp transit software.. and uploading the file in iweb, publishing the file, and then uploading and neither have worked.

If you press; http://www.westlondonpianoteacher.co.uk/google0cba812b5dda8e9a.html

You can see the uploaded file but google keeps saying one of two things:
    wrong file content (when uploaded in iWeb) and file cannot be found (When uploaded directly from the desk top)

I do not have mobile me and work from Iweb 09.

Please help.

Much appreciated.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Your site doesn't load for me, the server isn't responsive. Google may be having similar issues.

3. piddlepants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

That's strange as it's loading fine in Safari?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's loading now, but you don't have the file done correctly. Don't use iWeb for this at all. That funky named Google file should only containing the text "Google Verified" at most. Yours has a ton of HTML code in it.

5. piddlepants thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true

It happens when I go through i web to upload but even when I upload the downloaded html file straight into the published folder it still doesn't work so I am not understanding the step by step instructions especially where I should be putting the folder??

Can someone please give me a dummys step by step account of what to do.

Thanks

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Open up TextEdit. Then paste the verification string into the blank file. Then save the file as insertverificationhere.html.

Just upload this file to your server using a plain old FTP client. That's all Google want. :)

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It looks like the file was placed inside the right folder (the web root) so that part should be OK. Maybe Google was just having temporary issues when you had it that way before, like when I couldn't load the site.

8. piddlepants thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Ryan,

I followed your steps to the letter:
    http://www.westlondonpianoteacher.co.uk/google0cba812b5dda8e9a.html

Google is still saying unable to verify..????

I've been trying for 3 days now :(

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

10. piddlepants thread starter macrumors newbie

When I downloaded the html file from google and opened it I copied the text and put that in text edit so that the content was the same. I then saved as with the google file name? So actually, it should have the correct file content..

Oh dear.. I'm going round in circles and getting no where fast :eek:

11. piddlepants thread starter macrumors newbie

Html

P.S: I'm not doing any html so not sure why it's been converted like this in view source?

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Use a plain text editor, I suggest TextWrangler as a solid free option. Open the file in it and remove all of the HTML and leave just the "google-site-verification: google0cba812b5dda8e9a.html" portion if that's what Google told you.

13. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

PM me if you would like me to help you do this. I've done this several times over the years, but you've now confused me as to what to do! I'll take a look at the instructions that are given by Google to see what we're all missing. :)