Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
OK,

I've searched a bit and all i get is iPhone and iPad related stuff. I want an app or setup of my mac that will let me use google voice as voip. Please,don't suggest Skype either.

MS has fubar'd Skype so much now I just hate to use it, and honestly, if I've paid for Skype and am willing to use it, there's no point in google voice.

I'd really like to be able to initiate and answer calls to my gv number on my mac, without having to leave gmail open in a browser all the time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OK,

I've searched a bit and all i get is iPhone and iPad related stuff. I want an app or setup of my mac that will let me use google voice as voip. Please,don't suggest Skype either.

MS has fubar'd Skype so much now I just hate to use it, and honestly, if I've paid for Skype and am willing to use it, there's no point in google voice.

I'd really like to be able to initiate and answer calls to my gv number on my mac, without having to leave gmail open in a browser all the time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at GrowlVoice - Google Voice Client?

I agree the newest Skype version leaves much to be desired, which is why I'm sticking with version 2.8.0.866.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I am not aware of a way to do this any longer. It was possible using Gizmo5 as a SIP client, but Google bought them and shut it down.

I use this widget in OS X to make calls with GV, although it is not VOIP and still requires another phone line of some sort. I just start typing the call recipient's name in the widget then click which GV associated phone I want to use and the call connects to the two lines.

Say I start to "b m c" and your number (from my address book) pops up... I then click mobile and GV will call my mobile phone. As soon as I answer my mobile phone it starts ringing you.

Not what you are after I know, but I think the closest you will get.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
All of you guys rule. I'll give a couple of your ideas a try. I have a sip number through IPKall, if I can just find a decent SIP client now, (most take to long to make the connection when I call in from GV) so it goes to voicemail on my iPhone too quickly...

Anyway, maybe I can get it to ring back to my IPKall number then answer, may just have to disable the forwarding to iPhone until I'm done using the computer.

If any of you know how to extend how long the iPHone will ring before voicemail picks up, that would be a handy tip as well.

Thanks for all the help.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If any of you know how to extend how long the iPHone will ring before voicemail picks up, that would be a handy tip as well.
VM is a carrier feature and your carrier controls the length of time that your phone rings before calls go to voicemail. The link above has details on the feature code (*61) that works with some GSM carriers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.